+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Minidisc Recorder's DAC

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Problem is that will probably be worse than what you've got now.Be worth saving for the decent cable.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Problem is that will probably be worse than what you've got now.Be worth saving for the decent cable.
    Arrggghh!

So, external dac via optical is better than analogue, but not if used with a plastic fibre cable?

Stan's cable is recommended, but it's plastic fibre too AFAIK.

This is so confusing.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Well I'm just going by what I've read,not tried optical myself.No-one here help out a chap down on his luck with a cable going spare??

I'm Lee.

Well I'm just going by what I've read,not tried optical myself.No-one here help out a chap down on his luck with a cable going spare??
    Hey, I don't need that, I just want clear info. Stan's cable was recommended, and I got quotes from Stan direct, but then I thought I might need more than a metre. Then, I'm told that glass is best, but it is pricey. Then someone said Stan's cable is glass, but I'm not 100% sure about that, and besides, that would make it the cheapest glass cable in the uk at £14.99.

I certainly can't afford to buy cables to make comparisons with!
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Sorry didn't mean to be patronising,it was meant genuinely,others have helped me in the past,and I've done the same for folks.We all could use a hand from time to time.

I'm Lee.

Sorry didn't mean to be patronising,it was meant genuinely,others have helped me in the past,and I've done the same for folks.We all could use a hand from time to time.

Sorry Ali, I didn't take it like that actually, it's just that I was confused by the info and wanted clarity rather than oh I dunno, a handout due to my lack of knowledge.

Thank you though.
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No worries!

...so anyway,whose gonna help this chap out with a cable then??

I'm Nick.

I have a bunch of optical cables that aren't used anymore, just kept for old time's sake in my cable box. I'd be happy to pass one on, even if it's just as a stop-gap. How long a cable do you need, and what do the ends need to be, square or mini? I think I have some long multi-metre ones with 'flipover' ends, so they can be swapped between 'big' and 'little' connectors.

The way my system is they won't be used anyway, so if they'd be useful let me know.

I must admit on the question of the original post, it's worth trying, you've nothing to lose. Mini-Disc's big disadvantage was ATRAC compression, which in my experience 'sweetened' the top; I prefer my sound clean. I've not really tried the DACs on their own so don't know how they stack up against other D/A's... I'd wager they're likely to sound better than a lot of soundcards from the same era though.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Very good of you Nick,I knew someone would help out!

I'm Lee.

Well, muchos gracias to Nick. A lovely long cable arrived courtesy of him today.

Thanks Nick. Top man.

Now, I have a side issue. Does anyone know how to send just iTunes, or indeed other audio output of my choosing to the digital output?

I want system sounds, youtube sounds, etc etc, to come out of the iMac's built in speakers. Can I do this?
    Lee

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast