+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using Minidisc Recorder's DAC

I'm Nick.

Thanks Lee!

Soundsource by Rogue Amoeba software is free and gives you a menulet that allows you to route sound to different places. Important for you it lets you route system sound to the internal speakers, and everything else to your digital output.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Lee.

Yes, Soundsource. I've got that and it doesn't work like that.

Actually, when I said it was down to a digital output, I was wrong. Headphones plugged in results in the same issue. Headphones were in only temporarily though, whereas I'd like to leave the Toslink in permanently.

More of this methinks

I remember something called Detour. I'll look that up.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

I have noticed a little distortion on some tracks recently, almost as if the peak volume is too high. I thought I might have damaged my speakers or something, cos I listened to a particular track that does this on the iPod and it was fine. However, I've just tried it on the mac but with headphones instead of through the AE>Minidisc DAC>HiFi and I still hear the clipping.

Why could this be? I've never noticed it until now.

Edit: the track is Alive (redux version) by Pearl Jam. There are other tracks too, such as U2's No Line On the Horizon.
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

I guess it could be that the output from my mac is more revealing than the iPod.
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

I can turn down the level on the optical input on the minidisc recorder but it doesn't really make any difference. Are these just bad recordings, victims of the loudness wars?

I've compared the U2 track with the CD and while it's still bad, it's not AS bad, but that could be due to a difference in volume. The Pearl Jam cd was ripped from a, ahem, library copy, so I don't have that here.
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm David.

Blimey Lee it sounds like your getting in a pickle ... I distortion is only on a couple of tracks my guess is that it is the tracks in question not the system... You are welcome to email me a track and I'll have a listen ... Tell me where to listen in the song etc...
    I will of course delete the track afterward
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Blimey Lee it sounds like your getting in a pickle ... I distortion is only on a couple of tracks my guess is that it is the tracks in question not the system... You are welcome to email me a track and I'll have a listen ... Tell me where to listen in the song etc...
    I will of course delete the track afterward
    Hamish,

You have emails.

Thanks.

Lee
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

Mystery solved. Turns out the bloody iTunes equaliser was on!
    Lee

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123