+ Reply to Thread

Thread: -3db

I'm James.

Default -3db

Decided to have a go at a suggestion I found on Internet to improve DAC performance by adjusting output volume on the DAC by -3Db using Audirvana software audio management. This requires use of more gain via preamp which is always good in my book.

I am not sure how the theoretical improvements work by attenuating DAC output but I gave it a go. I also decided to use Audirvana without any upsampling and the results were positive.

System used:

MacBook Air with Audirvana 3.5 into Duok Audio reclocker via USB A then into the JustBoom DAC via Coaxial both powered separately from a Linear PSU and then into Croft Preamp.

Before reducing volume in software control to DAC I would say the sound was clean, dynamic and quite forward however after -3dB reduction and using more gain from preamp there was a greater sense of ease and effortless performance.

Removing upsampling increased the sense of ease and air in the recording and made them even more spacious. Basically you could turn up the wick without getting too much in your face as it were. There was also a sense that everything got bigger with huge soundstage and greater depth. Not sure if it was too much! Maybe there was less focus to the sound?

More listening required to ascertain if I prefer this route or not.

Anyone else tried using this -3Db trick?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

You be better off having the gain in the pre-amp reduced I think.

Your results would seen to suggest it has too much for the DACs output. Reducing the input level into the Pre-amp works but it's sub-optimal solution as you're reducing the SNR
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

I was trying out the suggestion made in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CwN-pOT_b4
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I was trying out the suggestion made in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CwN-pOT_b4
    I see, so you're thinking it is digital clipping that was the problem you solved? Maybe so. Whatever, if it's better it's better.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I see, so you're thinking it is digital clipping that was the problem you solved? Maybe so. Whatever, if it's better it's better.
    Not sure what is going on but always willing to give things a try and see what happens.

Not sure if its better but just different?

+ Reply to Thread