+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Over run” on cost

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I believe the Computerisation of the NHS didn't go too well, If my memory serves me well.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ds-system-10bn

I was involved in this project at a very early stage on behalf of the company I worked for at that time. My function was to analyse the NHS capability of defining their requirements, timescales, practicality etc.

A tender document was sent from NHS/Government to a number of IT companies. Various meetings were held, mainly in London, with heads of NHS management and ministers. I attended these meetings.

It was obvious almost from day one that there were problems with Commitment, Scope, Governance and Responsibly.

My observations and discussions lead me to suggest to my Company that we should decline to tender. Thankfully they did just that.

It turned out to be a total disaster, neatly avoided.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I was involved in this project at a very early stage on behalf of the company I worked for at that time. My function was to analyse the NHS capability of defining their requirements, timescales, practicality etc.

A tender document was sent from NHS/Government to a number of IT companies. Various meetings were held, mainly in London, with heads of NHS management and ministers. I attended these meetings.

It was obvious almost from day one that there were problems with Commitment, Scope, Governance and Responsibly.

My observations and discussions lead me to suggest to my Company that we should decline to tender. Thankfully they did just that.

It turned out to be a total disaster, neatly avoided.

Gary
    A good point. It is often the contractor that is blamed for cost overruns. As often as not it is the client that is largely to blame. Lack of clarity in tender production often stems from a lack of understanding of the business and how it works. Subsequent changes to the scope of work, or a complete rethinking of the project will inevitably increase costs and extend timescales.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12