+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Over run” on cost

I'm guy.

Default “Over run” on cost

Inspired by the HS2 thread, who can find the highest over run on cost for a public contract.

HS2 - X2

Birmingham IT upgrade - x5

Can we get in to double figure multiplier for original estimate ?

EDIT: What would be your suggested treatment/action against the originator/s of the original costing
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

they like to hide all those so good luck
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Yes, you couldn't make it up could you!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

As I've already posted on the HS2 thread, there are clear guidelines on the appraisal methodology to be used for public sector investments. The current version was published in 2018. https://assets.publishing.service.go..._Case_2018.pdf

The problem is that the methodology permits a lot of discretion in the assumptions made and gives insufficient attention to risk and uncertainty. Sometimes, the findings of the appraisal are overridden by political factors. The Jubilee Line extension went ahead even though the appraisal concluded that the costs outweighed the returns on the investment.

The original appraisal for HS2 concluded that the benefits would exceed costs by more than 2:1, although subsequent analyses have progressively downrated the ratio so that it is now less than 1 (unity). The levelling up benefits have all but disappeared, and the effects on job creation and unemployment will be well below the hugely optimistic figures initially projected. Costs were hugely underestimated with the figures used being well below the indicative unit construction cost estimates of the time.

Infrastructure investment is often a good way of boosting economic growth. The building of the US Freeway system after the depression was the greatest demonstration of this. The UK needs to be investing heavily in its decaying infrastructure, even if that means heavy borrowing. My preference on the transport side would be for cross country rail improvements. Housing is an obvious need, though I would favour new large scale eco-towns in the north and midlands rather than the weary battle ground of new builds and nimbyism. The need for more/better/safe schools and hospitals barely needs mentioning.

I'm Geoff.

As to cost overruns on public sector projects, this FT story from last year is well worth reading.

https://www.ft.com/content/6cabfac4-...0-e14b3f0ff817

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    As to cost overruns on public sector projects, this FT story from last year is well worth reading.

Have to subscribe to read it and that would take me over budget
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Have to subscribe to read it and that would take me over budget
    Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach ofFT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.

An excerpt:

"The estimated cost for the Transpennine project has ballooned from under Ł300mn in 2011, to 10 times that number in 2019, before more than tripling again to around Ł10bn in 2021. This is not a classic cost overrun; if it was, at least northern cities would have the satisfaction of knowing the project was in progress. Instead, it’s a constant change of scope."

I'm Peter.

Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm James.

I believe the Computerisation of the NHS didn't go too well, If my memory serves me well.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ds-system-10bn

Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kember View Post
    Flyvbjerg has just published a book addressing the challenges of big projects.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Big-Thi.../dp/0593239512

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast