+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TEAC VRDS 701T - Review

I'm James.

All good points, many of which I consider when buying and listening to vinyl.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    How do you ascertain which CD mastering is the best/to your taste Martin ?
    Buy all of them then decide

I use the DR Database https://dr.loudness-war.info/ and pick the one with the highest dynamic range, that's usually, but not always, the original release.

(NB you can't use it for selecting vinyl releases, it's not accurate for vinyl).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    All good points, many of which I consider when buying and listening to vinyl.
    Yes, all those things apply to vinyl too. For me CD is just vinyl without the inconsistencies and the hassle of cleaning, replacing worn stylus, having to change sides, surface noise, wow and flutter etc. I know many are not bothered by those things or even enjoy choosing new cartridges and so on, but they are the reasons why I stopped using it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, all those things apply to vinyl too. For me CD is just vinyl without the inconsistencies and the hassle of cleaning, replacing worn stylus, having to change sides, surface noise, wow and flutter etc. I know many are not bothered by those things or even enjoy choosing new cartridges and so on, but they are the reasons why I stopped using it.
    For sure, I wish I had never heard vinyl again because of all the agro using it and expense!.

But once heard, never unheard as it were!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    For sure, I wish I had never heard vinyl again because of all the agro using it and expense!.

But once heard, never unheard as it were!
    In the past 4 years or so I've spent about 3.5K on digital equipment - I could get a refurbished SP10 for that..although not with top quality arm and cartridge too. And then you need a good phono stage. All adds up a bit fast. But it isn't so much the cost that puts me off, its the other factors.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Indeed the other factors need to be factored in! It is one of the reasons folk have turned to digital, its an easy medium to deal with and streaming requires only the flick of a finger!

CD requires a bit more user input like standing, walking and opening plastic boxes, never mind all the faff trying to get them out and then back in without breaking the box! Then you have to actually pop one in your machine and take it out when finished.

Bloody hard work if you ask me!

I'm Martin.

No argument from me about the crappy cases but I have a box of new ones, it's simple enough to replace a broken one.

I've mastered not breaking them when I take out or put back a disc, not mastered avoiding treading on them yet though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Macca - CD Box Ninja!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I don't think I have ever broken a CD case, though I have several which were cracked in the post.

Like Martin I have plenty of new cases to replace those that are broken.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't think I have ever broken a CD case, though I have several which were cracked in the post.

Like Martin I have plenty of new cases to replace those that are broken.
    Are you in the Met, they never crack cases either

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast