+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: St Lucia 2023

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    That’s what I had with two over easy eggs, hash browns & grilled tomato (having already had English breakfast and pastries at the buffet which opened half an hour earlier than this venue)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By now I think all these Caribbean resorts will know you well and will have bought in extra. ("Jeez, that Roy, he'll eat anything that's not nailed down, you'd rather keep him for a week than a fortnight", etc etc)
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    By now I think all these Caribbean resorts will know you well and will have bought in extra. ("Jeez, that Roy, he'll eat anything that's not nailed down, you'd rather keep him for a week than a fortnight", etc etc)
    It’s the sweet stuff that I over indulge in, barely touch it at home but can’t get enough of it when away (and the cakes…). Banana bread is a new discovery, delicious).

I'm Grant.

It’s the sweet stuff that I over indulge in, barely touch it at home but can’t get enough of it when away (and the cakes…). Banana bread is a new discovery, delicious).
    great stuff. i used to love it but being a lot dodgy on gluten ive inda gotta be careful. things like that do go for me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Drinking buddy

I'm Geoff.

I was fortunate enough to spend much of 1989 working on a health sector review of four of the British Caribbean Dependent Territories as they were then called. Specifically, I spent a month in each of the following: Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands, Montserrat, and the Turks and Caicos Islands. The aim was to analyse the problems each territory faced in providing essential health care to their respective populations and to develop options for long term British Government support. It was a fascinating though challenging assignment. It was astonishing to me, at the time, how different from each other the islands were in terms of topology, ethnicity, culture, agriculture and not least cuisine.

Montserrat, a lush volcanic island (pre volcano) was like a modern Eden. Anything and everything seemed to grow in the rich volcanic soil. One specialty of the island was “mountain chicken” a frog so large its legs looked like drumsticks. I also recall their version of Irish Stew called goatwater. Monserrat contrasts starkly with the Turks and Caicos Islands. These are craggy coral islands with limited vegetation. In fact, the island was deliberately deforested to support the production of sea salt. However, what is misses out in terms of vegetation, it more than makes up for in exotic seafood: conch, grouper, lobster, crab and lionfish, often highly spiced and served with peas and rice.
    Anguilla and the British Virgin Islands had already become ultra elite holiday destinations and their traditional cuisine had tended to be displaced by International Gourmet styles. However, the British Virgin Islands produced a tasty dish called fish and fungi, containing okra and cornflour. In Aguilla, pigeon peas and rice is a favourite, typically served with spicy fish, chicken or meat.

One of the great joys of travel for me was the opportunity to try out new foods and cuisines. Unfortunately, I have to take my pleasures vicariously these days.

I'm Martin.

I had a helicopter flight over Monserrat - in the Magnum P.I helicopter (not the actual one but the same type).

The eruption totally obliterated the original airport. Lava ran all over it. All that's left is one runway marker.

Barbuda was the most amazing of the islands I have been to. Remote, very few people there. It did have a 'Four Seasons' but it was destroyed in a hurricane a couple of years after opening, and they never rebuilt it.

Proper wild paradise island, like in 'Robinson Crusoe.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I had a helicopter flight over Monserrat - in the Magnum P.I helicopter (not the actual one but the same type).

The eruption totally obliterated the original airport. Lava ran all over it. All that's left is one runway marker.

Barbuda was the most amazing of the islands I have been to. Remote, very few people there. It did have a 'Four Seasons' but it was destroyed in a hurricane a couple of years after opening, and they never rebuilt it.

Proper wild paradise island, like in 'Robinson Crusoe.'
    Montserrat was very unfortunate. Just after our mission it was hit by Hurricane Hugo, and not long after that the volcano erupted. A newly refurbished general hospital ended up under 12 feet of volcanic Ash.

I have photos somewhere of a hike I made to what was then called the Soufriere, a foul smelling sulphur pool that was the emission point of the "dormant" volcano.

In the 80s it was a real jet set location. George Martin had his recording studio there (built in the 70s), and was actually staying in the same hotel as me (The Vue Pointe) for much of my stay. I would nod to him over breakfast, but resisted the huge temptation to approach him and talk music. His recording studios were used by McCartney (Wings), Sting (Police) Elton John, Eric Clapton and the Rolling Stones and the hotel had countless photos of all the celebs who stayed there whilst recording. Midge Ure had a colonial style house on the Island and I played darts with him over a few beers in the Green Iguana bar one night.

I did not do the helicopter trip but did spend some time up in the hills.

I'm Steve.

Drinking buddy

Does your missus know you've been out boozing with some bird?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Does your missus know you've been out boozing with some bird?
    will tell you the Torquay story one day…

Sunset

I'm sorted.

Default St Lucia 2023

Dinner venue

View from the table

Sandals take on an old English pub

Last edited by Roy S; 20-09-2023 at 11:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast