+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: My personal thoughts on my system.

  1. #11
    Join Date: Jan 2022

    Location: East Riding of Yorkshire

    Posts: 104
    I'm Shaun.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    you have good taste in equipment (i.e it matches mine )

  2. #12
    Join Date: Apr 2016

    Location: Bishops Stortford

    Posts: 1,220
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    My experience since has told me that a budget CD player will sound better than a budget turntable, but as you upgrade your vinyl rig you reach a point where it becomes a serious competitor to CD and from there it can kick on to become either better than or at least different in a fulfilling way.

    Pete
    Dont forget that you can also upgrade the CD player, for instance with a separate DAC, then it will pull away again from the vinyl.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

  3. #13
    Join Date: Jan 2022

    Location: East Riding of Yorkshire

    Posts: 104
    I'm Shaun.

    Default

    I did use a Cambridge transport and Audiolab MDAC but this unit is now way better than the old ones. This one is also SACD of course and I own quite a few of those.

  4. #14
    Join Date: Jan 2022

    Location: East Riding of Yorkshire

    Posts: 104
    I'm Shaun.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    or at least different in a fulfilling way. Pete
    Certainly different.

  5. #15
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 13,441
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enossification View Post
    Certainly different.
    But as long as they are close enough to both be enjoyable that's the main thing.

    I find myself happily using either format - vinyl about 40% of the time, and CD when I'm feeling lazy/pissed/whatever which makes up the remaining 60%. I do actually prefer the sound of my vinyl rig, but at fifteen times the cost of the CD player I bloody well should do. And that's before you factor in the cost of stylus wear and vinyl purchases.

    I wouldn't mind changing the player at some point, and yours and Martin's players would be top of my list, but I'm in no great rush
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

    T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

    T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

    A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

    Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

    KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

  6. #16
    Join Date: Jan 2022

    Location: East Riding of Yorkshire

    Posts: 104
    I'm Shaun.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    But as long as they are close enough to both be enjoyable that's the main thing.

    I find myself happily using either format - vinyl about 40% of the time, and CD when I'm feeling lazy/pissed/whatever which makes up the remaining 60%. I do actually prefer the sound of my vinyl rig, but at fifteen times the cost of the CD player I bloody well should do. And that's before you factor in the cost of stylus wear and vinyl purchases.

    I wouldn't mind changing the player at some point, and yours and Martin's players would be top of my list, but I'm in no great rush
    I so agree with all you've said there but one question that sticks with me is, why does the vinyl side of things have to be so damn expensive when compared to CD ? And, as a result of that, is there any wonder the majority of people stick with a digital source ?

  7. #17
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 13,441
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enossification View Post
    I so agree with all you've said there but one question that sticks with me is, why does the vinyl side of things have to be so damn expensive when compared to CD ? And, as a result of that, is there any wonder the majority of people stick with a digital source ?
    No wonder at all Martin. Although vinyl prices have probably only increased over the years roughly in line with inflation (My first album, T. Rex Electric Warrior cost me 2.30 iirc, which would be about 30 in today's money), it's the lower cost of CDs that makes it look bad.

    Regarding the hardware, well you can see better with a turntable where much of the cost has gone, that engineering won't come cheap.

    My only real gripe is the quality of the vinyl itself, which with modern pressings is unpredictable at best. And that will probably put an end to my record purchasing. Especially when a used CD version can be had for a tenth the cost, and with zero issues pretty much guaranteed.

    As for streaming, not going to happen as long as I can make the journey between my sofa and the stereo
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

    T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

    T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

    A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

    Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

    KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

  8. #18
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 6,275
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    No wonder at all Martin. Although vinyl prices have probably only increased over the years roughly in line with inflation (My first album, T. Rex Electric Warrior cost me 2.30 iirc, which would be about 30 in today's money), it's the lower cost of CDs that makes it look bad.

    Regarding the hardware, well you can see better with a turntable where much of the cost has gone, that engineering won't come cheap.

    My only real gripe is the quality of the vinyl itself, which with modern pressings is unpredictable at best. And that will probably put an end to my record purchasing. Especially when a used CD version can be had for a tenth the cost, and with zero issues pretty much guaranteed.

    As for streaming, not going to happen as long as I can make the journey between my sofa and the stereo
    That small journey may keep you spinning discs longer.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

    Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

  9. #19
    Join Date: Jan 2022

    Location: East Riding of Yorkshire

    Posts: 104
    I'm Shaun.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    As for streaming, not going to happen as long as I can make the journey between my sofa and the stereo

  10. #20
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 13,441
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    No wonder at all Martin.
    My apologies Dave, er Rodney, er Shaun

    New bloke at the builders merchants used to call me Stuart. It went on for so long I didn't have the heart to correct him as he was what they used to call "Care in the Community" and I didn't want to mess with his head. So I became Stuart. No biggie, I've been called worse.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

    T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

    T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

    A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

    Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

    KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •