+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The continuing saga of a search for a pair of good classic loudspeakers continues

I'm Horacio.

Default The continuing saga of a search for a pair of good classic loudspeakers continues

Well, I neither bought the Rogers Studio 1 nor the Spendors BC1, they were both overpriced and I was not satisfied about the bass drivers' condition.

I now have two new choices, a pair of Epos ES14 rare Mk1 version for £300 and a pair of Harbeth HL MK3 for £650 which seem to be kind of expensive even though MK4s sell for very good money in Japan.

I am hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the group to help me decide which pair is more musical regardless of price.

Cheers,

Horacio

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295903658483

https://audioflair.co.uk/category/us.../loudspeakers/

I'm Lawrence.

I'm a big fan of the early Epos speakers. I know some people say the ES11s are more musical but I think that tends to be people who like a smaller speaker with a faster attack (PRAT), the sort that were into the 80s source first Linn/Naim thing.

I think the ES14s have a slightly fuller sound and are probably my preference but I've not heard them side by side to directly compare. That would be a very interesting exercise.

How would you get hold of them if you're in the US?

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

I'm not a fan of the ES14, don't know the specific Harbeth model but Harbeth are a 'play it safe speaker' generally.

ES14 are a bit of a departure from the other speakers you've been considering. Some strengths, some glaring weaknesses. I always thought they were a bit of a fad myself.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Have you considered that some older speakers may have Ferrofluid in the tweeter coil gaps? This ages and can harden causing issues. It can be dealt with, but worth bearing in mind.

I personally don't use speakers that employ it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Horacio.

The Audax HD12X9D25 used in the Harbeth has no ferrofluid. Looks like the owner replaced them with the current Audax replacement, the TW025A0.

The chap selling the Epos won't even ship within the UK, he is not very friendly. Fortunately, he lives half an hour away from my friend Angus [Phonomac] and will deliver the speakers to him. Angus will ship them to me with a rebuilt tonearm and a few other things.

They have been on ebay for a long time.

I'm Horacio.

Look at this concoction "matched"... what a nerve!

Vintage HARBETH ACOUSTICS H.L MONITOR MKII matched Loudspeakers SOUND FABULOUS. Speakers sound fabulous... Crosovers are original ones, one tweeter is Radford, one is audax, Both woofers has been replaced with cambridge drivers. woofers are bigger than original one so the hole size has been extented. Every drivers are in excellent condition, they sound fabulous and are in excellent shape, Cabinets show nicks, scratches but still look beautiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Steve.

Probably make good coffins for dead cats. If you didn't really care about your cat.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adam.

Neither.

There are lots better out there.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Lawrence.

The condition matches his table anyway. Where did you find this ad?

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm Horacio.

It was listed on ebay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast