+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone had experience of using Google find my device?

I'm Dave.

Default Anyone had experience of using Google find my device?

I seem to have lost my mobile phone. I never really liked it much anyway!

However, according to Google's Find my Device feature it is pretty much in the same place I was on Saturday - probably inside a small store - and I didn't go to many places.

I wonder if the accuracy of this, including the timing, is about as good as Apple's - which has been known to place the location of my iPad in places like Kidderminster - hundreds of miles away from where it normally lives.

If, however, the times are fairly OK - then there is an indication that it actually is where I suspected - though searches so far have drawn blanks.

I could just write it off - and then have to decide whether to try for an insurance claim, or whether that would be counter productive in putting my premiums up more than the phone is worth.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

if someone found it they would need code etc to open it and switch find me off or get any info. afaik its fairly accurat so a search of premises should find it if no one has decided to nick it. could try ringing it while in the place too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I wonder if the accuracy of this, including the timing, is about as good as Apple's - which has been known to place the location of my iPad in places like Kidderminster - hundreds of miles away from where it normally lives.
    That's probably because it's connected via your home network/internet connection rather than a mobile phone cell. It then guesses location based on the IP address which is allocated dynamically by your internet provider.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    That's probably because it's connected via your home network/internet connection rather than a mobile phone cell. It then guesses location based on the IP address which is allocated dynamically by your internet provider.
    Could be, but neither my home nor the devices mentioned are ever [normally] within 100 miles of Kidderminster. I'm guessing that my phone did indeed go to ground within a fairly small radius of the place I visited on Saturday, but that is perhaps not good enough to find it. Possibly someone will find it and turn it in.

This technology stuff is a pain in the butt.
    Dave

I'm Patrick.

Could be, but neither my home nor the devices mentioned are ever [normally] within 100 miles of Kidderminster.
    No, but that's the beauty of the internet; you can appear to be anywhere you want in the world.

(Perchance are you connected to a network that maybe stretches as far as Kidderminster?)

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    No, but that's the beauty of the internet; you can appear to be anywhere you want in the world.

(Perchance are you connected to a network that maybe stretches as far as Kidderminster?)
    I still have a lingering suspicion that the wretched phone is somewhere around the house, but Google didn't notice that it came back home. It'll probably wait until I've got a new replacement, and then turn up under a cushion!
    Dave

I'm Dave.

I still have a lingering suspicion that the wretched phone is somewhere around the house, but Google didn't notice that it came back home. It'll probably wait until I've got a new replacement, and then turn up under a cushion!
    Actually it is in the house - now! It was indeed in the store where I went for an eye test - must have fallen out of my bag while I was in the dark. Very lucky to have got this back, and fortunately the photos and other data on the phone are still OK. Now I even know how to back them up to a separate drive - so plan on doing that soon.

It makes sense to do a backup using USB maybe once a year - rather than waiting for a "disaster" to strike, and then wondering how to get photos and other notes back.

There is still the remaining issue of unblocking the phone, which seems to take a while - but hopefully will eventually be possible. There is a new SIM card supplied by the network provider - but I'm not sure if it's been activated and/or registered yet. It's a bit of a faff, but looks possible.
    Dave

I'm Kevin.

My phone performs an automatic backup to my NAS.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

Actually it is in the house - now! It was indeed in the store where I went for an eye test - must have fallen out of my bag while I was in the dark. Very lucky to have got this back, and fortunately the photos and other data on the phone are still OK. Now I even know how to back them up to a separate drive - so plan on doing that soon.

It makes sense to do a backup using USB maybe once a year - rather than waiting for a "disaster" to strike, and then wondering how to get photos and other notes back.

There is still the remaining issue of unblocking the phone, which seems to take a while - but hopefully will eventually be possible. There is a new SIM card supplied by the network provider - but I'm not sure if it's been activated and/or registered yet. It's a bit of a faff, but looks possible.
    usual is to fit sim and switch on... the sim will then register and activation will happen in next 24 hrs, although times ive done it its been pretty fast. within an hr.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread