+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audiolab DAC MKII

I'm Lee.

Default Audiolab DAC MKII

Hi All,

I am thinking about buying an Audiolab MKII DAC. I understand it has a DAC 7 Bitstream chips. Obviously the technology is of its time but I imagine the build quality and design still holds up as well as the sound for its time. From some of the things I have read online many people prefer the sound of CD to streaming despite all the HD codecs.

I am not sure why they opted for BNC inputs in place of the usual phono inputs.

http://www.hifi-review.com/153455-audiolab-8000dac.html

https://tersaudio.com/audiolab-8000dac-mkii-review/

I do have a MiCromega DAC II which needs repair as there is one sound coming out of it. I think there was a power surge and something blew.

Does anyone have one of these or used them in the past?

Thanks
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Lawrence.

It reminds me a bit of the Pink Triangle DACs with that DAC chip module, I wonder if John Westlake was involved with this as well as the much later MDAC?

I'm Lee.

I should have said it's an Audiolab 8000DAC MKII.

In the review it mentions the Pink Triangle DAC having the same DAC7 chipset.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    It’s about the music

I'm Andrew.

I just bought a Tag Mclaren DAC20 (8000DAX) after owning one years ago and I much preferred it to my Bryston BDA2 and other DAC I’ve owned.

Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 23-08-2023 at 23:19.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Lee.

It's supposed to be an improvement on the audiolab 8000 DAC II.
    How does it sound?

It’s about the music

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarvanyar View Post
    It's supposed to be an improvement on the audiolab 8000 DAC II.
    How does it sound?

Absolutely fantastic now as I had it serviced by Kevin from the Audio Cellar! Complete recap and some small upgrades.

Better than my Bryston BDA-2. One of the best if not best Dacs I’ve owned regardless of price so my Bryston is now up for sale. It might be old DAC 7 technology but wow, what a sound.

Imagine getting a moden DAC getting refurbished is 20 years, the capacitors were well out of spec but the unit still performed ok but the recap made a huge improvement.

Dac module underside safely removed.

All recapped module

Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 09-09-2023 at 15:45.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Andrew.

BNC inputs were used because they are the only true 75ohm sockets which when mated with a genuine 75ohm cable will feed the specified Red Book CD 75 ohm signal .

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Assuming they are 75ohm, BNCs come in two versions: the more common 50ohm version as well as 75ohm. The two look similar.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    BNC inputs were used because they are the only true 75ohm sockets which when mated with a genuine 75ohm cable will feed the specified Red Book CD 75 ohm signal .
    The standard for SP/dif connection is 75 ohm and that's a Sony/Philips standard (hence the SP) but I'm not sure there is anything in the Red Book about digital data transfer.

At the time digital data transfer was not considered to be something the home user needed and it was a few generations of CD players on before digital outputs appeared. Cambridge CD1 about 1986 I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lee.

How much did the recap cost?

I have a Micromega DAC II that needs looking at. Do you think he could do that?

Thanks
    It’s about the music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast