+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft Mega Micro with seperate PSU

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Obviously this has nothing to do with the sound quality, but I for one, like the cream and beige livery of the pre-amp.

As it is somewhat unique, I think you should keep it "as is" in memory of Glenn Croft.
    I'm not exactly keen on the colour but the sound more than makes up for that. It will be kept as is in memory of Glenn Croft.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Definitely.

If you spray it black, it's bound to lose value instantly.

There were more than a handful of these made because back in the day we sold on average, one per week along with others in the range
    I initially thought about a re-spray but quickly decided against that. Must be quite a few of these then if you sold one per week. Must admit this is the first i've seen, infact, the first time hearing of the Mega Micro's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The first micro I had was cream and brown and definitely had a retro feel. It was one of the reasons I became so interested in hifi. Amazing sound for a tiny price. I think the original micro was £125. I used it with a Quad 405 and it elevated my vinyl listening no end

Those early crofts I think will become the most sort after in the future I feel as they were his first designs and you rarely see them for sale now.

I have never come across an original Micro for sale in the last 30 years.
    That is a crazy price. Not sure what that equates to in today's money. I think the Micro 25 Basic was about £350 when that came out, so not a huge leap from the original Micro. I have to say though, i do love the look of the newer range, just simple and understated. I got the Mega Micro off ebay, which i had seen been advertised for awhile. I had actually missed out on a 25RS (by £50) and decided to investigate the Mega (which i had never heard of) I'm surprised it was not snapped up by someone!
    Last edited by kininigin; 16-08-2023 at 14:00.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Dave.

Back in the day, Glenn used to drop in twice a week with a car load (Porsche) of amps we had sold. Took a couple of years before we had packaging as the amps came in black bin bags, often smelling of cat wee..

We also had Tom Fletcher (Notts Analogue) dropping in twice a week with a load of turntables. Those were the days.

I miss those lads.

Back in the day, Glenn used to drop in twice a week with a car load (Porsche) of amps we had sold. Took a couple of years before we had packaging as the amps came in black bin bags, often smelling of cat wee..

We also had Tom Fletcher (Notts Analogue) dropping in twice a week with a load of turntables. Those were the days.

I miss those lads.
    Happy to report no smell of cat wee round these parts

Sounds like you had a blast. Yes they will sorely be missed.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Geoff.

That was the top of Glenns Micro range back then and is extremely good. probably not even bettered by his later stuff in my opinion.

I think there was 3 in the range

Micro
    Super Micro
    Mega Micro.

I had the first 2 and they were very good but did hear the Mega Micro on a number of occasions. Fantastic amp and great you have acquired one as they are quite rare and as you have heard extremely good.
    I had the micro and then the super micro. Had the latter sprayed matt black by a local car body shop. Improved looks by 200%

I'm Dave.

Yes, we did have a blast back in the day. The shop always had a manufacturer/designer plus a rep or two in residence practically all the time plus a customer or five. It was like a Cafe with Tea, Coffee, biscuits and cake constantly on the go and in between we had to do demonstrations and comparisons, all day, 6 days/week.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I had the micro and then the super micro. Had the latter sprayed matt black by a local car body shop. Improved looks by 200%
    Great to hear other folk who owned some of these early models back in the 80s. I knew Glenn from his very first foray into amplifier design as he frequented Warstones Hifi as a venue for trialling and gauging opinion on his first endeavours. I remember his all valve OTL mono blocks roasting the room but what a sound!
    One day I might piece together some insights around his evolution of his stripped back designs and some of the more exotic OTT stuff he built.

Still finding his early departure upsetting.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm David.

I'm the same, Jimbo. I'd drop him an email some nights if I was deep into a bottle of red and having a listening session, usually through the Christmas week. I'd feel a bit embarrassed in the morning but it prompted a few entertaining exchanges, and under the circumstances I'm so glad I did.
    Mark Levinson 390S CD / Audiolab 6000 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    I'm the same, Jimbo. I'd drop him an email some nights if I was deep into a bottle of red and having a listening session, usually through the Christmas week. I'd feel a bit embarrassed in the morning but it prompted a few entertaining exchanges, and under the circumstances I'm so glad I did.
    Yes Glenn always gave an interesting response to whatever you asked and although very direct and sometimes short he somehow always got to the heart of the matter in few words usually in an amusing way.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Yes, we did have a blast back in the day. The shop always had a manufacturer/designer plus a rep or two in residence practically all the time plus a customer or five. It was like a Cafe with Tea, Coffee, biscuits and cake constantly on the go and in between we had to do demonstrations and comparisons, all day, 6 days/week.
    Now that sounds like the type of dealership i could spend some time at! I'm quite partial to a piece of cake. The last dealership i went to, i had the guy running it looking down at me for mearly wanting a TT support for my Technics. Proper knob he was lol.

Great to hear other folk who owned some of these early models back in the 80s. I knew Glenn from his very first foray into amplifier design as he frequented Warstones Hifi as a venue for trialling and gauging opinion on his first endeavours. I remember his all valve OTL mono blocks roasting the room but what a sound!
    One day I might piece together some insights around his evolution of his stripped back designs and some of the more exotic OTT stuff he built.

I for one would certainly be interested in your insights into Glenn's different designs.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm James.

I will put together my own article on Glenns amplifiers but it will take a fair while and I will need to consult a few others. I have intended to do this for a long while and it may end up being a collaboration as there are a few friends of mine who have a much greater knowledge of his designs than myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast