+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Croft Mega Micro with seperate PSU

I'm James.

I would say valves in the PSU do get a bit more wear compared to the phono stage but they should be good for 5000 hours but there are always exceptions.

One of the reasons some of the best valves ever made and sound great was because they were made very rugged either for military application or long term use.

Also to answer your question - yes valves in the PSU can effect the sound as can the voltage regulation valve. But as Glenn used to say it was "all in the ear of the beholder!"
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I would say valves in the PSU do get a bit more wear compared to the phono stage but they should be good for 5000 hours but there are always exceptions.

One of the reasons some of the best valves ever made and sound great was because they were made very rugged either for military application or long term use.

Also to answer your question - yes valves in the PSU can effect the sound as can the voltage regulation valve. But as Glenn used to say it was "all in the ear of the beholder!"
    Well that's good to know, i had a fear i would be changing them every year or so. I guess being in the psu, they would be obvious if something is failing.

I do have have some military Brimers in the phono stage, not sure if there are any military type in the psu however.

If Glenn said that then i don't think i'll fuss over that and just buy suitable valves for when the time comes.

Having lived with this amp now for about six weeks, i just love it more and more. The combination with the Paradigms is fantastic imo. It brings power and finesse, great dynamics, huge soundstage and amazing detail without being too in your face. This is the best my system has sounded....the Croft plays a huge part of that!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Andrew.

Valves in the PSU will probably go on forever. My advice would be to get a few now whilst prices are still cheap. You can have a little fun valve rolling with the PSU, some claim that PSU valve rolling has a sonic benefit. I'm undecided.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Valves in the PSU will probably go on forever. My advice would be to get a few now whilst prices are still cheap. You can have a little fun valve rolling with the PSU, some claim that PSU valve rolling has a sonic benefit. I'm undecided.
    Yes always prudent to have back up valves anyway....i just need a good few more now. I guess there is only one way to find out if they make a difference to the sound but i won't fuss too much over it as it sounds great as is.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Chris.

My overall impression of valve rolling is that the new valves will sound a bit better simply because they are new and not gently softened with age.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Well that's good to know, i had a fear i would be changing them every year or so. I guess being in the psu, they would be obvious if something is failing.

I do have have some military Brimers in the phono stage, not sure if there are any military type in the psu however.

If Glenn said that then i don't think i'll fuss over that and just buy suitable valves for when the time comes.

Having lived with this amp now for about six weeks, i just love it more and more. The combination with the Paradigms is fantastic imo. It brings power and finesse, great dynamics, huge soundstage and amazing detail without being too in your face. This is the best my system has sounded....the Croft plays a huge part of that!
    If you are enjoying what it is doing in your system then I would not fuss too much about the valves. Valve rolling can be a bit overrated but there are some exceptions.

The power, finesse dynamics and huge sound stage and detail confirm this Croft is doing the right thing in your system as this is what I am hearing in mine so all good.

Enjoy.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Having lived with the Mega Micro now for awhile now and being extremely happy with it, i'm curious to know what would have been the original valves in this pre amp back in the 80's. Does anyone have any idea? Also what do the ECC99 valves do and does changing them for something "better" change the sound?

Just fancy doing some rolling to see if i can get any improvement.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234