+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monoblocks and pre or integrated pros and cons

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    no my F5 clones are very light and easy to carry
    Really, I thought they'd have massive heatsinks.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Monoblocks apparently have less cross talk. I have experimented with a few pairs of mono blocks and preferred a single stereo power amp.
    Me too

I'm Steve.

Good post

I'm steven.

Default Monoblocks and pre or integrated pros and cons

From what I can gather from all the responses it sounds like all I'm gonna get from monoblocks and a pre is the extra cost of the extra cables needed I had denon monblocks a few years ago and wasn't blown away and it was a faf to get a pre to mate with them for synergy

I'm Lloyd.

I have a pair of Cyrus Mono Xs and must agree that when I had some KEF LS50s relatively tough to drive I heard the benefit compared to a Cyrus integrated however now I use Klipsch Quartets or Tannoy Berkeleys I’m certain I don’t really benefit much from having 150 -1500 watts on tap for each speaker
    A widower finding solace in music

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky View Post
    From what I can gather from all the responses it sounds like all I'm gonna get from monoblocks and a pre is the extra cost of the extra cables needed I had denon monblocks a few years ago and wasn't blown away and it was a faf to get a pre to mate with them for synergy
    I did say the cost/benefit ratio would be low.

In my case, the monoblocks are located behind each speaker, which being electrostatic need a mains supply. When I had a dedicated ring main installed solely for my audio setup, there was a double socket for the speaker and amp on each side, so the equipment mains cabling is short. The amps are connected back to the preamp and sources, near my listening position, using balanced line cables, which was also installed along with the ring main, so under the floorboards and carpet and thus out of sight.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Swann36 View Post
    I have a pair of Cyrus Mono Xs and must agree that when I had some KEF LS50s relatively tough to drive I heard the benefit compared to a Cyrus integrated however now I use Klipsch Quartets or Tannoy Berkeleys I’m certain I don’t really benefit much from having 150 -1500 watts on tap for each speaker
    It's not so much the number of watts but the amplifiers ability to maintain voltage into low impedance loads.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clive.

I used to many years ago run a pr. Cyrus monoblocks but found no useful advantage over a stereo power amp. I currently run a pre/power combo which sounds significantly better than any integrated I’ve heard.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I used to many years ago run a pr. Cyrus monoblocks but found no useful advantage over a stereo power amp. I currently run a pre/power combo which sounds significantly better than any integrated I’ve heard.
    Bryston, very tasty.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's not so much the number of watts but the amplifiers ability to maintain voltage into low impedance loads.

For what it's worth, I think a big, gutsy amp would be better. I just love that effortless bass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast