+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Monoblocks and pre or integrated pros and cons

I'm Lawrence.

Depends on what that means. I've found that some gutsy amps can sound relatively thin in the bass if you're used to a less grippy amp with some overhang in the bass department. It's a more accurate neutral definition though.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Depends on what that means. I've found that some gutsy amps can sound relatively thin in the bass if you're used to a less grippy amp with some overhang in the bass department. It's a more accurate neutral definition though.
    if someone likes a bit of bloom in the bass that's true - but it can also affect the rest of the frequency spectrum and that's not so great for sound quality. Depends on both the speakers and amplifier though so it's very much a case by case basis.

There was a system at last years NW show, big multi-way floorstanders driven by some big valve monoblocs and it had that bloom in the bass, personally I couldn't live with that it would annoy me constantly.

Another one at the Wam show - PMC with single ended valve amps - just didn't work for me at all. Match the amp to the speakers, people!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Really, I thought they'd have massive heatsinks.
    fairly massive but they cant weigh more than 10kg i would have thought . thats why i like monoblocks . i am on the hunt at some point for cool running class AB monoblocks that are light . similar to tron convergence Joe does 2 types but no one seems to know much about them !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134521165...cAAOSwh1NjQphU

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134521170...AAAOSwZzRgIDHa
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

A long while back I tried out using a stock pair of Quad 405s with each running one channel only. The soundstage broadened by a couple of feet either side of the speakers compared with a single 405 in standard stereo mode and it really was an obvious difference. I took it that this was due to there being no crosstalk. Of course, amp design has moved on over the decades but it was enough to help influence my final destination with the Avondale monoblocks that I've used for the last decade.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234