+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monoblocks and pre or integrated pros and cons

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Thanks Geoff. I have been having a little break from here but it's hard to stay away!
    I noticed you'd not been around mate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

You have to be more specific. You can't compare a cheap pair of monos against a top of the range integrated because the monos will lose out and the other way round. Even when the prices are similar, some companies make better gear than others.

It's horses for courses.

I'm Phil.

one big advantage to monoblocks is they can be lighter to carry and accommodate . Thats why i like them
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    one big advantage to monoblocks is they can be lighter to carry and accommodate . Thats why i like them
    Maybe Class D ones

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    I think that's the only real advantage to them and why they came about in the first place.

Back when it was all valves and massive traffos you couldn't make an amp that was more than a few watts without it weighing a ton.

Even a 1980s Sanyo integrated doesn't have problems with crosstalk.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

actually thinking about it, before stereo all amps were monoblocs so when that came in people needed an extra one so that's another reason why they came about.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    actually thinking about it, before stereo all amps were monoblocs so when that came in people needed an extra one so that's another reason why they came about.
    Just like the Quad II amplifier:

For mono it would have been a Quad QCII preamp with a single Quad II power amp (15W)

For stereo it would be a Quad 22 preamp with a pair of Quad II power amplifiers.
    Barry

I'm David.

As someone who is almost OCD about trying to create distance between the various boxes to avoid what this layman would describe as "interference" I find it interesting that only one response here even mentions a perceived benefit in having individual boxes for each channel (once the signal's out of the source and the Pre-amp of course).
    So now I'm wondering if I've identified a solution to a problem that doesn't exist ?
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm James.

I think really the main reasons for going for mono blocks is usually around their potential to supply more power. From my own experience with the Croft 7R monos, comparing them to the single Croft 7 power amp I did not feel their was a significant advantage. The only improvement was the regulation in the 7R power amps . As far as power was concerned I heard no difference in performance or ability to drive the super efficient speakers I use.

BUT a friend of mine who used a very powerful Chord stereo power amp moved his system to a bigger room with very large 801 D4 speakers and needed much more power to drive them in a larger space and decided to use mono blocks. To be fair I heard the speakers with the single stereo power amp and then the mono blocks and I did prefer them with the mono blocks as they sounded effortless and had more impact in the larger space.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Maybe Class D ones
    no my F5 clones are very light and easy to carry
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for