+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cartridge set up is so important!

I'm Adrian.

Default Why Cartridge set up is so important!

I posted this elsewhere and then thought this may be helpful to others in the future.

I thought I was pretty clued up on setting up cartridges on my turntable having been swapping them around for over 9 years on various arms and TTs, but then I came across a rather interesting talk on the subject on a YouTube video on another forum, the link is below.

What the chap in the video clearly highlights is that getting a cartridge set up correctly is not necessarily as straight forward as you may think. It may be that you follow the whole process correctly setting up a cartridge to the correct settings only to find it does not sound quite right in some way. For example the answer to this may be that the actual stylus on the cantilever is slightly out of alignment on the cantilever. In this case even if you perfectly aligned the cartridge in the head shell and set Azimuth and VTF perfectly it will still not be quite right in the groove.

So below is what I did and my thoughts on the subject.

Here is the video that prompted my investigations....

I ordered a Pro-Ject Digital VTF gauge which arrived this morning, not expensive £20, it comes with calibration weight, which I checked and is spot on 5gm, the spec says it is accurate to 0.01gm and will not deviate.

I first calibrated the gauge as in the instructions and then before doing anything else checked the existing tracking weight which I thought to be set at around 2.0gm using my balance gauge, the new Pro-Ject gauge indicated 2.18gm, so quite a bit higher than I thought I had set it to. No big issue as still within the recommended 1.8-2.2gm tracking force advised. I did check the tracking force again with the anti-skate removed, this in fact added 0.15mg, so a reading of 2.33gm without anti-skate. So the effect of anti-skate devices on tracking force is possibly something to consider when setting up a cartridge, I seem to recall reading this somewhere once.

Next I adjusted the tracking weight to the originally intended 2.0gm, and then had a listen to two favourite test listening tracks. Result was a subtle improvement in clarity.

I decided to completely check on the cartridge set up, playing particular attention to VTA, azimuth, and cartridge alignment(Zenith Error). I had heard that a stylus could be incorrectly mounted at the wrong angle causing 'Zenith Error" but had not really understood this before. Obviously without a very powerful microscope it is impossible to determine if this is the case or not, however using the starting point of getting the cartridge perfectly aligned so that it is parallel with a set up gauge is where I started. What I found was it was minutely out of alignment, having adjusted this I set VTA, and azimuth and rechecked everything, then set VTF. I listened to my two favourite test tracks Ravi Shankar - 'Tala Rasa Ranga' on Portrait of Genius and Eva Cassidy - 'Fields of Gold' on Nightbird, what I noticed was a slightly more focused soundstage, and more top end clarity.

Maybe I was lucky and just happened to get the cartridge set up better, who knows?, I certainly think that if a cartridge doesn't sound quite right that minute changes to the alignment that improve the VTA and Zenith can be worthwhile, but this can be a very tricky and an exacting process, requiring patience and very minute adjustments and listening after each to see if it improves.

I wonder if anyone has had their stylus checked to determine how far off it is mounted on the cantilever?

Having done the above this then lead me to mount my Goldring 2500 MI cartridge which was already on another head shell. I have been pleased with it in the past but always returned to the Benz-Micro as I felt some detail was missing with the Goldring. I carefully checked the cartridge alignment in the head shell and this was slightly off, once on the arm I went through the complete set up process, checking all alignments and setting a 1.8gm VTF. On went the previous two test listening tracks and I was immediately taken aback, the Goldring had come alive in the top end, detail that previously I thought was missing was now present and the soundstage was great.

So to sum up I think that spending time to carefully get your cartridge right is very important, I doubt it matters how much it costs, probably a badly set up expensive one will sound no better than a perfectly set up cartridge a 1/10 the price. If it does not sound right then adjust it by very small increments and listen carefully to it using easy to listen to tracks with clear instrumentation, and highs and lows(good dynamics), rock music is probably not the best for this, and use a clear female vocal recording to listen for sibilance and try and minimise it. I've certainly learnt something and the result is very well worth the effort.

The Goldring is staying on the turntable for now as I am rather enjoying it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm jamie.

yep i follow his advice too,went out and bought a good microscope (not chinese) on the strength of this video. i found it interesting that he says that the too biggest influences on the sound are zenith and azimuth,he doesnt think much of raising the tonearm in small increments and hearing a big difference sighting that you are probably hearing moo of a change in azimuth when you adjust sra/vta.

I'm Dave.

Having set up and adjusted tens of thousands of cartridges on various turntables with numerous arms, I must say that I have never lost sleep about these miniscule, inaudible adjustments which the golden ear brigade claim to hear. To date I have never had any customer complain to me that my set up is wrong, inaccurate or could even be improved.

Don't get me wrong, I always set up cartridges and arms to the best of my ability but all this faffing about adjusting by half a thou or 1/100 of a gram really does not make massive differences.

If you really want to drive yourself nuts you should take into account that records are cut with different parameters and setting up a cartridge and arm for one record doesn't necessarily make it correct for another record.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good post, expressing a lot of common sense.
    Barry

I'm jamie.

yep, there is always that way of doing it,for me though i invested £1500 in a cartridge and i want to make sure i get the best out of it,if that shows im lacking in common sense then so be it.
    we can all set up a cartridge so it sounds good,thats easy,but getting that last tiny improvement from it takes time and patience which i dont see as faffing about.

I'm Geoff.

One has to wonder. Is a cartridge ever set up correctly?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    One has to wonder. Is a cartridge ever set up correctly?
    How would you know?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Having set up and adjusted tens of thousands of cartridges on various turntables with numerous arms, I must say that I have never lost sleep about these miniscule, inaudible adjustments which the golden ear brigade claim to hear. To date I have never had any customer complain to me that my set up is wrong, inaccurate or could even be improved.

Don't get me wrong, I always set up cartridges and arms to the best of my ability but all this faffing about adjusting by half a thou or 1/100 of a gram really does not make massive differences.

If you really want to drive yourself nuts you should take into account that records are cut with different parameters and setting up a cartridge and arm for one record doesn't necessarily make it correct for another record.
    This is heartening for me to read.

As I'm blessed with two handfuls of sausage fingers and not a lot of patience, I opted for a "plug 'n' play" set up. The manufacturer set it all up for me, with my chosen cart, and demo'd it to me when done. I trusted in his expertise, and I've been happy with it since.

I do notice a difference in sound between 'normal' and heavyweight vinyl, but what can you do? Perfectly set up for one disc won't be perfect for the next, and I can live with that.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    This is heartening for me to read.

As I'm blessed with two handfuls of sausage fingers and not a lot of patience, I opted for a "plug 'n' play" set up. The manufacturer set it all up for me, with my chosen cart, and demo'd it to me when done. I trusted in his expertise, and I've been happy with it since.

I do notice a difference in sound between 'normal' and heavyweight vinyl, but what can you do? Perfectly set up for one disc won't be perfect for the next, and I can live with that.
    put 2 slip covers on the deck and set it up for the thin record. when putting a thick one on, take one slip off
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast