+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Speaker cable suggestions

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The DNM cable is similar in configuration to the flat cable used in FM radio indoor ribbon aerials, a pair of solid copper conductors separated by a few millimetres of flat plastic. I did try the flat FM aerial cable as speaker cable years ago, it sounded perfectly fine.

If I recall, DNM use their same flat cable for interconnects as well as for speaker use. Nordost have done similar things.
    Yes, using 300 Ohm aerial ribbon cable for interconnects was a hi-fi fad in the '80s. I think it was John Akinson, editor of Hi-Fi News, who promulgated the idea.

I tried it out, but despite the low cost (the cable is less than £1 per metre) and surprisingly low susceptance to unwanted pickup, I felt happier with the more conventional coaxial cable.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-06-2023 at 21:13. Reason: Spelling!
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

I’ve had cables that retail for £2.5k ( didn’t cost me that ) but I’m now very happy with my £40 Talk cables Talk 3 ( the green ones )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

I've done the speaker cable merry-go-round as well. Tried various Nordost (yes I fell for the B.S), tried thin cables, thick cables, solid core, multiple strands. Presently, I own SAEC Tripple C speaker cables and Duelund tinned copper, happy with both and now I can't be arsed to change.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gary.

Enjoyed those with previous systems, great speaker cables.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    I’ve had cables that retail for £2.5k ( didn’t cost me that ) but I’m now very happy with my £40 Talk cables Talk 3 ( the green ones )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm charles.

@Wakefield Turntables, Hi Andrew, may I ask which of your two cables you prefer?
    I have both but not tried CCC as a speaker cable. I am however getting excellent results with CCC as interconnect but I'm using Acoustic Revive solid core.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, using 300 Ohm aerial ribbon cable for interconnects was a hi-fi fad in the '80s. I think it was John Akinson, editor of Hi-Fi News, who promulgated the idea.

I tried it out, but despite the low cost (the cable is less than £1 per metre) and surprisingly low susceptance to unwanted pickup, I felt happier with the more conventional coaxial cable.
    I got a bag of DIY RCA cables with some gear years ago and some of them were made with what looked like coax TV cable. Was there a similar fad for that you are aware of?

You can hardly bend the cable so I've never tried them.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There's TV cable and there's TV cable. It depends on the diameter.

There was an interest (wouldn't call it a fad as such) in using thesmaller diameter VHF TV cable (with the brown insulation and a stranded inner conductor) many years ago, but it didn't catch on.

I did try it out, along with using the larger diameter UHF cable (which uses a solid core inner conductor), but heard no improvement with either.
    Barry

I'm Pete.

Alchris Audio , have a very good and relatively inexpensive speaker cable ..the xl 400, these have replaced my chord epic outperforming them in every way. I was so impressed with the xl 400 I upgraded to xl 600 which again had step change in performance over the xl 400. These are running between my hifi rose ra180 and alchris ar66.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234