+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Record cleaning solution

I'm James.

Default Record cleaning solution

What record cleaning solution are you guys using currently.

Any good recommendations?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What record cleaning solution are you guys using currently.

Any good recommendations?
    Been using the Jazz Collective mix for years…. Nothing better

400 ml Distilled Water
    100 ml IPL
    2.5 ml Ilfotol

Other mixes available, but none better, than the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Barry

I'm James.

That's pretty much what I use at the moment.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Firebottle gave me some of what he was using - I think it was called 'The One', from MCRU. Worked well.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

How about CD cleaning, this Meridian G08 is picky on what you put inside her.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    What's she doing living in Brighton then? A mate of mine used to swear by T Cut. Which sounds drastic, and probably is, but his CDs had a really hard life - no cases and constantly trodden on
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What's she doing living in Brighton then? A mate of mine used to swear by T Cut. Which sounds drastic, and probably is, but his CDs had a really hard life - no cases and constantly trodden on
    it worked on most older cds, although it had to be done carefully and cds needed to be badly scratched as you could screw them completely if not careful. you can buy cd cleaning fluid tho and even machines
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Good point, my Meridian 507 objects to the occasional CD and I don't have a specific CD cleaning routine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

That is my mix but I add 8ml of a Triton X-100 surfactant solution to 6 litres of the above cleaning mixture, my machine takes 6L The solution is made up from 9ml of distilled water with 1ml of Triton X-100, this needs to be allowed to dissolve and mix for 12 hours. The surfactant solution will assist in removal of stubborn dirt and nicotine, it is the basis of many washing and cleaning products. Do not be tempted to add more of the solution, if you do you will have a bubble bath on your hands.

I spent many months investigating record cleaning and found a chap who used the above through a forum thread, and several others had tried it and recommended it, I think one was a chemist. The surfactant will not damage the vinyl, PVC is extremely robust and is NOT bio-degradable, unlike dust, dirt and grease.

I have found that adding the surfactant I get better and more consistent results cleaning records in my ultrasonic cleaner, I then rinse off in distilled water and vacuum dry. I always wear nitrile gloves throughout the cleaning process to stop grease from hands getting on records and to protect hands.

Some records which look perfect I have found still can have some light surface noise, odd crackles, I have found that often 2 or 3 20 minute cleans in the machine will restore it back to like new, presumably it takes this to get rid of stubborn sticky/greasy dust in the grooves. One record I thought was a throw away, is now quite acceptable.

WARNING - Triton X-100 is a neat cleaning chemical that kills bacteria, cells and some viruses, if you use it always wear rubber gloves and protective glasses, follow the instructions on the bottle completely. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_X-100

Quantities of Triton Solution to use from other forum:-

For a 50 ml batch of solution:
    (1 teaspoon = 4.929 ml> say 5 ml for those using droppers)
    5 ml (1 teaspoon) of Triton X-100
    45 ml (9 teaspoons) of Distilled Water
    Mix solution and let sit approx 10 hrs (overnight) or add 99% IPA to speed dilution

From Vince on a cleaning thread "You want a final concentration of detergent around 0.1 to 0.2%"
    50 ml = 1.69 oz
    1 gal = 128 oz
    1.69 oz solution / 128 (oz/gal) water = 0.013 =1.3%
    therefore
    1.69 oz of solution to 1 gal water = 1.3%;
    1.69 oz of solution to 10 gal water = 0.13%;
    Use 5 ml solution per gallon of water [for .13% concentration (light rinsing & ultrasonics), use 50 ml solution per gallon of water for rough cleaning]

For a 10 L Ultrasonic Cleaner that uses 2 gals of Distilled Water, you would need 10 ml of solution.

For the Spin Clean tank that uses 24 ozs (.1875 gals) of Distilled Water, you would need 2 ml of solution.

For 5L Ultrasonic Cleaner need 6.5ml of solution.

For 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner need 7.8ml of solution.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast