+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plug type ?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Those old-style Bulgin mains connectors are still available for use on boats and small craft, and can be readily obtained from boat chandlers.

They are no longer intended to be used for domestic mains supply connection, and are now outlawed. Quad replaced them with the current IEC style mains connector.

However since the connector used on your modified radio is one such that the fixings for the cover are themselves covered when the 'plug' is mated, I see no problems with safety.

(I still use equipment that uses old Bulgin mains connectors, some of which would not be allowed today for safety reasons - the covers can be unscrewed whilst the connector is still mated to reveal the 'live' terminals).
    Thanks for the heads up mate , I may not include the cable/mains plug if I sell it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

you can still buy them so some ike this one cant be outlawed. but yes, some were. they were oft used on guitar amps etc and as barry says, the cover could be removed while in, use in older versions. if you have room you could replace it with an iec
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Thanks for the heads up mate , I may not include the cable/mains plug if I sell it .

I see no reason why you should exclude the cable/mains plug if you sell the radio, as IMO it is quite safe to use for reasons I explained.

However to be sure, it might be a good idea to show a photo of the un-mated connector so that potential buyers can decide for themselves.

It looks to be a very good radio, what with all those wavebands - and I have always admired the styling by Dieter Rams of late Braun products.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Well it would seem very very popular in China but after sending my Leak TL12 there a few years ago and it took 3 weeks it was very stressful so I’m reluctant to send anything there again.

I'm Ian.

Bit late to the game looks more like my early gyrodec PSU terminal than a leak amp, which are much much bigger. Can't imagine its too difficult to find

I'm Ian.

https://mullard.org/products/ŵr miniature-bulgin-3-pin-mains-panel-plug-or-socket-250v-3a-sa2403-plug-sa2404-socket-as-used-for-michel-gyrodek-psu

I think you have to be very careful here. Judging by the photograph, the Bulgin 3-pin socket looks to be a DIY aftermarket fitment. The way the aperture has been cut out looks to be a crude 'bodge'. I can't find an image of what the rear of an unmolested Braun T1000 CD radio looks like, but the original could either use 9 off D-type 1.5V dry cells, or use an external mains powered power supply.

"The receiver is powered by 8 UM-1 1.5 V batteries, a ninth battery is used for the dial illumination. With the optional TN1000 power supply, the receiver can be powered from mains voltages of 90 - 130 or 150 - 240 V, but it can also be operated from DC power sources with voltages of 6 - 12 volts."

Also see pages 2 and 3 of the operating instructions: http://www.shortwaveradio.ch/lib/exe...structions.pdf

So I strongly suggest you open up the rear of the radio to see exactly what sort of battery has been fitted and how it is connected to the Bulgin connector. Underneath this connector there are additional sockets (or apertures: the actual sockets might have been removed) to select mains voltage and frequency. Check to make sure these have been disconnected, before you go about applying the UK mains via the Bulgin connector.
    Barry

Looking at the circuit diagram for the the T1000CD, especially that of the TN 1000 power supply, it would appear the new Bulgin connector replaces the original 3-pin DIN socket. And with the Bulgin connector being of larger diameter than a DIN socket, required the cut-out aperture to be enlarged (badly in this case).

http://www.shortwaveradio.ch/lib/exe...ice-manual.pdf
    Barry

Here is what the rear of an unmodified T1000 CD looks like:

There are three plugs: one for the mains (110/220V, selected by the switch above, either 50 or 60Hz); a second for an external 24V DC power source and above that, one for a 12V DC supply.

I was mistaken in my supposition that the latter used a 3-pin DIN socket, clearly the aperture is designed for a special 3-pin line socket.

Incidentally, for obvious safety reasons, the two 2-pin line sockets are not interchangeable.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123