+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: recapping Sony SS-G4 speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    And before someone asks how a capacitor or other component can 'improve' the sound, it can't! The better quality wire, caps etc.and correct orientation of the inductors help because of less editorialising and less injection of noise. Under those conditions, dynamics, details and overall musicality is the name of the game.
    I think a capacitor can improve the sound. Take them out of the tweeter crossover and you'll soon find it sounded better with them in. (Although I'm not sure it will sound any better than it did without them when you put them back in.)

I'm Martin.

The tweeter won't last long without one, that's for sure.

I did do a set of speakers for a bloke who was always blowing tweeters with electronic music. Used Motorola piezo-electric horn loaded jobbies. You can't blow them.

Still got a spare set lying around. People don't rate them but they were fine for the sort of music he listened to.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The tweeter won't last long without one, that's for sure.

I did do a set of speakers for a bloke who was always blowing tweeters with electronic music. Used Motorola piezo-electric horn loaded jobbies. You can't blow them.

Still got a spare set lying around. People don't rate them but they were fine for the sort of music he listened to.
    Epos always said their speakers sounded better as they only had one cap on the tweeter. So imagine how good your mate's must have been with no caps.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Epos always said their speakers sounded better as they only had one cap on the tweeter. So imagine how good your mate's must have been with no caps.
    They actually had no crossover at all. I specified an inductor (air cored job from Falcon - Sailor take note!) to roll off the bass driver but they took ages to be delivered and in the meantime he took the speakers anyway.

When they finally turned up I offered to go over there and retro-fit them but he wasn't having any of it, said he liked the sound as it was. Still got those inductors too. Never going to use them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Moving coil tweeters tend not to have great power handling capability, even ferrofluid equipped items, so the protection a cap/filter provides is a good idea. Having a low crossover point or even not using a capacitor is potentially attractive, but usually not really workable.

There are exceptions that can allow low crossover points, like the use of BMR units and horn loaded compression drivers or even multiples of conventional tweeters in series-parallel arrangements (depending on driver resonance and lower roll-off). These options tend to be less common.

(always fancied trying a set of Manger drivers, despite the variable opinions expressed)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Scott.

I bought a pair of the SS-G1’s a while ago, was quite disappointed at the build quality, really light cabinets considering the size of them. Sounded okay though.

The 10” woofer has an unusually small magnet too.

What’s everyone’s opinions on the front baffle raised black grid? Snake oil by Sony? Haven’t seen any other company implement this idea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123