+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Phonograph Stylus Wear Experiment

I'm Mike.

Default A Phonograph Stylus Wear Experiment

Please see this new thread on Vinyl Engine entitled Stylus Wear Study 2. A link is provided below.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...?f=19&t=134294

Vinyl Engine @ray_parkhust (Ray Parkhurst) has posted his set up for evaluating stylus tip wear and provided examples of wear on a conical or elliptical stylus tip. See page 2.

Another VE thread details Stylus Wear Study 1: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable...?f=19&t=113013

Three of us are supporting and conducting this evaluation, along with the generous support of others in the community. Ray Parkhurst as you will see above is an expert in photomacrography, and whose hobby is imaging phono styli. He has been doing this for better than a decade and has contributed to VE, SHF and many others forums on stylus imaging with a focus on shapes and wear.

The second person goes by BMRR on VE and the Steve Hoffman Forum. Is is actually handling the operational end of this experiment. His equipment and the procedure is detailed in the VE thread posted first there and in the thread posted below on the SHF. BMRR volunteered to run the experiment as outlined in the first link above. He will use a very good quality Sanyo Q50 turntable (TT) as seen here https://www.vinylengine.com/library/...-q50.shtml.The TT will be fitted with a new Audio Technica VM95E cartridge. This cartridge has a bonded 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical diamond with recommended VTF of 2 grams, which is representative of those used in a wide variety of today's most popular moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) cartridges at many different price points. Examples are the Ortofon 2M Red (MM, $100), Clearaudio Concept V2 (MM, $250), Rega Elys 2 (MM, $350), Ortofon Quintet Red (MC, $400), Hana EL (MC, $475), and Sumiko Songbird (MC, $900). The 2 gram tracking force of the VMN95E is also highly representative: the six cartridges listed above have tracking forces ranging from 1.75 grams (Rega Elys 2) to 2.3 grams (Ortofon Quintet Red), with an average of 2.0 grams. Therefore, we believe that an elliptical stylus tracking at 2 grams represents the most common scenario among today's vinyl enthusiasts.

I'm the third leg in this experiment. Note here I am BendBound, same on Steve Hoffman Forum, but on Vinyl Engine I am Tetonbound. I've provided 20 vinyl records for this experiment, one in VG+ condition, and all the rest in VG++ to mint (sealed) condition. Here is a chart on condition:

The condition of the records is as follows:

Twenty (20) records:
    1 VG
    2 VG+
    4 VG++
    9 NM-
    3 NM
    1 M, Sealed

We want a realistic set of records in mostly terrific condition, but also we wanted a few records that are in average condition. That is how I play records on my turntable and the wear my stylus is subject to. We did not want only NM records for we don't believe that represents real life use of a turntable. Nor do we want all VG or VG+ records since most of us work to upgrade or we are picky about what cartridge we use to play them. All records are ultrasonic cleaned and finished on a VPI17 vacuum machine, as we've noted prior. From that perspective, these records are on balance in better condition and better cleaned than most users I know. This chart shows the near normal distribution in condition of the selected vinyl records for this test.

As far as the records selected for this experiment, they date from 1958 for the sole mono title, then from 1961 to 1989 for the stereo titles. Most records are from the 1980s, but numerous titles are from the 1970s and some from the 1960s.

The records are a mixture of rock, folk, country, R&B, easy listening, Broadway musicals, gospel, orchestral music and classical. These titles feature singers, some bands, some choirs, but also classical, for example Bach organ music. They come from obscure record companies such as Westminster Records, but most are Capital, Epic, RCA, Angel and MGM. All but one records are original issues according to Discogs, one is a reissue. RCA records records beginning in the 1960s have a slightly different vinyl formulation, we have one as early as 1969 and as late as the mid-1980s.

These records have been cleaned in an 80kHz ultrasonic tank on a Vinyl Stack set up for 20 minutes. Then each record is finished on a VPI17 vacuum machine. There is more to this including photos of the cleaning set up so please see the initial VE thread for details. After cleaning and removing static charge, all records have been resleeved in Diskeeper™ record sleeves, make by Sleeve City.

Also, we are hoping to understand vinyl degradation from this experiment on played records and change in total harmonic distortion of playback from a worn stylus. To that end, I've recorded one full side of three titles at 96kHz/24bit on a Tascam DA-3000 pro recorder. If I cannot do it, we'll find someone who can take those files apart looking for THD changes over time as these titles are recorded again, later. We've recorded one title in two copies of the same release in nearly identical condition. One to be used as the first record to be played, and the second as the final record to be played. We may even decide to push the play on that final record (after recording it again). We will attempt imaging of groove wear and detailed analysis of signal change.

The work is contemporary, supported by a published procedure and revealed in progressive photomacrographs performed by one of the most knowledgeable guys anywhere doing that as a hobby.

Next, we have also posted this experiment on the Steve Hoffman Forum as seen in the next link.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...iment.1174862/

Our reason for employing multiple sites for this experiment can actually be seen when one reads through the VE and the SHF threads. Each community has its followers, and the discussion in each has a life of its own. As a consequence of comments on the SHF, we have added to our set up for the physical turntable portion of this test.

I've been a member here, mostly a lurker, for some time. But I wanted to pull into this discussion Art of Sound folks I know and whose opinions I respect.

Thank you.

Mike

I'm Mike.

In this VE post, see the equipment Ray Parkhurst will use in this experiment:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...34294&start=12

Two posts down from this equipment post, see illustrations of expected wear on the elliptical stylus used in this stylus wear experiment.

Then see Ray's final post on page 2 for time 0, or T(0) for images of the new Audio Technica VM95E cartridge employed in this study.

I'm Mike.

Update since its been weeks since our last record.

We have now sourced several NOS CBS test records that we intend to use for this experiment. Furthermore, @Ray Parkhurst has refined further our experiment into discrete and well-defined steps. That is the good news. We have also added a second new Audio Technica VM95E cartridge for use as a benchmark to the one to be used to critical wear. We have engaged with folks at the website Audio Science Review on ways to better understand the sonic impact of diamond stylus wear and record wear as far as capturing dubs at sufficient recording rates (kHz/bit rate) to detect those attendant with physical stylus wear. We are experimenting here, on this part, and hope to perfect our experiment, if not in this run, in the next when we plan to wear a Shibata stylus to critical wear.

However, life has intervened, and at the moment we have been delayed from turning to the right so to speak. Unexpected family issues for our team member @BMRR (on Vinyl Engine) running the turntable has delayed our actual start up. Further, in setting up his turntable, he has discovered an issue that we hope is just belt related. No matter, another turntable is available (an Onkyo) in the event the issue is not minor. Nonetheless, we are close to getting completely underway and when we do, further updates will be provided of our results.

I'm James.

This is a great thread, thanks for keeping us informed on this experiment.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Adrian.

This is very interesting and will be greatly interested in your findings, looking forward to hearing more.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread