+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rega older RP8 or latest P6?

I'm Gary.

Certainly makes the P10 sound great into a £6.5K preamp, I'll give it that.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 28-05-2023 at 21:35.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm simon.

i am kicking myself really, as i missed out on a Aria 2 over on PFM, went for under 500 quid.

as an alternative have been thinking a Trichord.
    the Diablo has plenty of adjustment and can be upgraded with matching psu at some point.
    i do believe the company are about to release a new stage, Neo i think its called, but know little of what its like.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Gary.

Simon,
    Do you have a spare £350?

(See my Previous Post)
    Last edited by Gazjam; 28-05-2023 at 22:30.

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Simon,
    Do you have a spare £350?

(See my Previous Post)
    hi, yeah i did see your post ref the Pro-ject unit.
    the Mofi unit i have now retails at the same price and i wanted to try something at the level of the Aria.
    so , for me, as far as Pro-ject goes i would aim at their DS or RS range.

having read Rega's recommended cart loading settings of 100 ohms and 1000pf, i would really like a unit that offers these settings.
    the Aria does (obviously) as does the Trichord Dino MK3.
    i understand the capacitance setting is a personal taste thing and has less effect than the impedence (Rega said this when asked) but i would like to try for myself.

i am guessing from the cost of your pre that your system is leagues ahead of mine and i imagine the Pro-ject unit is most likely the weekest link?
    i appreciate the suggestion though, dont get me wrong.

on a side note, a Pro-ject DS unit would match nicely with my DS2 digital unit ( which incidentally also has a MM/MC stage, but lacks any adjustment)
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm Martin.

I wouldn't automatically take price as an equation to sound quality. As with any type of component there's a lot of expensive rubbish out there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

my ds2 was the usb version, but it was bought to do a job; ie to record my vinyl as well as being a good stage. money is not always proof of good sounding... and ease of use was another reason i got it.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Just mentioned that as an indication that the Project was doing a good job.

It is kinda out of place with the rest of the kit I guess, and will be upgrading it in the future.
    Not in a rush though.
    Happy to run mine for a while, I'm enjoying playing records through it.

Grant's right,
    Can't always use cost as a guide to sound quality, I think the Project phonostages bears that out.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 29-05-2023 at 13:33.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm simon.

absolutely agree about the price : performance thing.
    found this out a long time ago with headphone amps.
    i have a Project Ember MK1 made and designed by a couple of members on diyah forum.
    its an awesome bit of kit for the money.
    also using it as a pre into my Marantz pm7003, bypassing the Marantz built in pre. to my ears it sounds better.

have been offered a home trial of the Aria by the dealer from which i bought my P8, so i would be daft not to try it first.
    they are aware i wont be buying a new unit as my Neo psu is the older style case, being ex-demo unit ,and i would want to match the Aria should i get one.
    the biggest problem i can see with the Aria is its size! i knew it was big from just looking at pics but its 325mm deep, which will not look good on my desk.

I'm simon.

now listening to my system with the loan Aria.
    sounds amazing...... BUT its not massively better than my £350 Mofi studiophono, which has surprised me a bit.
    luckily if i go for the Aria it wont be a new one, as i could not justify the price.
    hoping to keep the Aria for about a week.
    the dealer is also trying to get hold of a Dynavector P75 mk4 for me to try after. this unit seems to get plenty of good reviews and is much cheaper than the Aria.
    they also are able to get a Chord unit and Tom Evans for me to try.
    i have a distinct feeling there will be little to chose between all and, who knows, i may stick with the Mofi.

I'm Gary.

Just goes to show You...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast