+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OB DIY Project

I'm Geoff.

I am pressing on with my DIY open baffle project. I am basing my design on the Decware Zen Master series https://www.decwareproducts.com/zms

I have purchased a pair of Lii Song F-15 full range drivers
    https://lii-audio-europe.com/product/speakers/f-15/

I have already taken delivery of two 75cm by 62cm beechwood panels of 4cm thickness which I am very pleased with.

Although I don't expect any problems with the full range driver in terms of treble response I may choose to add a super tweeter just to see what difference it makes. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced super tweeter for me to try out. Instinctively, my preference would be for a ribbon design but open to suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by Sherwood; 01-06-2023 at 19:21.

I'm Geoff.

IMG_20230601_205949862~2.jpg

One of the panels with a cardboard disc showing the approximate size and placement of the driver

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am pressing on with my DIY open baffle project. I am basing my design on the Decware Zen Master series https://www.decwareproducts.com/zms

I have purchased a pair of Lii Song F-15 full range drivers
    https://lii-audio-europe.com/product/speakers/f-15/

I have already taken delivery of two 75cm by 62cm beechwood panels of 4cm thickness which I am very pleased with.

Although I don't expect any problems with the full range driver in terms of treble response I may choose to add a super tweeter just to see what difference it makes. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced super tweeter for me to try out. Instinctively, my preference would be for a ribbon design but open to suggestions.

Thanks

These are a reasonable price you'd pay duty though. Can't find a UK seller

https://www.ltt-versand.de/en/22757/...20group%20%231

adding a tweeter does sort of defeat your objective of wanting a point source loudspeaker though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hopefully I wont need this. Just preparing for the worst whilst hoping for the best. Just taken delivery of stain for the panel.

https://www.osmo.africa/products/osm...te-satin-500ml

I'm Martin.

Hi Geoff,
    How's the project coming along ? It's possible that I have a template for the driver cut out somewhere in my shed.

I imagine you're Edwinstowe way, so could lend a hand if you wish ?

Cheers,mart.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Metlor View Post
    Hi Geoff,
    How's the project coming along ? It's possible that I have a template for the driver cut out somewhere in my shed.

I imagine you're Edwinstowe way, so could lend a hand if you wish ?

Cheers,mart.

Hi Martin,

good guess ... Market Warsop.

Slowly coming together. Despite efforts of DHL, the drivers have arrived and I've been breaking them in. Even without a baffle, the quality is apparent. No problems about treble roll off, even for my old ears. Have4 them on a couple of IKEA stools and dynamics and sense of openness is amazing.

Osmo top oil arrived. Decided to go with graphite stain colour (3039 Osmo ref).

Even have stencils for a celtic knot pattern to go on the bottom of the front baffle.

Been unwell the last couple of weeks so yet to start putting the bits together.

Geoff

PS. If you PM me with your contact details I will give you a call.

I'm Martin.

Hi Geoff,
    I worked for a firm in Clipstone, years ago with a colleague from MedenVale, it's not too far from here.

I figured I could come over with jigsaw and router if you need a hand.
    I cut some slightly larger baffles (I think) for my Lii F15 drivers.

Certainly one of the most vivid sounds I've had, within their useful frequency range.
    I was able to boost the low end with the eq on my RME dac, the top end roll off didn't bother me too much.

I'll send a PM and we can have a chat.

Cheers, mart.

I'm Martin.

Edit.
    Just found my 355mm and 386mm circle templates and my plywood baffles too.

I'm charles.

A supertweeter brings openness and space to the party which seems to defy credulity.
    The Monacor unit linked to only goes out to 40Khz which does not really qualify as 'super'. Try to find a tweeter that goes another octave higher to realise the full benefit of the extra information.

If possible try and borrow a pair for a taste of what they can do. Townshend makes excellent ones but very scarce on the second hand market. Seems people don't let them go easily.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    A supertweeter brings openness and space to the party which seems to defy credulity.
    The Monacor unit linked to only goes out to 40Khz which does not really qualify as 'super'. Try to find a tweeter that goes another octave higher to realise the full benefit of the extra information.

If possible try and borrow a pair for a taste of what they can do. Townshend makes excellent ones but very scarce on the second hand market. Seems people don't let them go easily.
    The Townsend tweeters roll in below 12Khz that's why you can maybe hear them doing something.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast