+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiolab 6000CDT Mods

I'm Gary.

Default Audiolab 6000CDT Mods

Keep reading about how the 6000CDT is constantly getting recommended, love mine.
    Thinking was that it would be replaced with a "better" transport at a later point?

Well, change of plan.

From research, reading many forum posts and some head scratching I think I'd need to "silly" to noticably better it, and even then possibly only by small percentages.
    I've always found an Audiolab 6000CDT comparison thread on a forum somewhere; "it got really close" or "not sure which one I preferred".
    Think the new 9000CDT would be better, stronger construction with different tray load CD mech, but still... by how much exactly for 3 times the price?
    Happy with results of modding my Oppo 203 bluray player, much better performance than stock.

SO:
    Decided to mod this transport to see how far I can take it, similar to what I did with my Oppo 203.
    Looking into PCB changes, power supply tweaks, cap changes etc, as well as mechanical and RF/EMI treatment too.

Its getting quite a popular player, so maybe this thread could be helpful for others, similar to my Oppo thread.

Open to any suggestions from any DIY heads out there!
    Heres the original PCB

Lots of space in the case too, scope to break out improved parts if that can be a thing.

Looking forward to this.
    More to come.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-05-2023 at 11:35.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Work begins tommorow.

Have a pack of this stuff coming, used it before its really effective.
    Silent Coat 4mm aluminium backed Butyl constrained layer damping sheets.

Uses constrained layer damping to lower panel resonance and absorb structural vibrations, converting them into low level heat.

Previously I used the 2mm sheets to line the casework on my Oppo, worked great.
    Didn't know they did double thickness 4mm stuff.
    This will add even more mass and damping to the Audiolab's metal casework.

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

I think you could patch a pothole with that stuff
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

If theres any left I'll let you know mate...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

Well I am considering a new driveway
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Vibration is the enemy of all things Hifi so reducing it or eliminating it can only be a good thing. I used the thinner Silent Coat in my amps to great effect. Not only does it seem to cut down internal vibration getting through to the valves it also suppress external vibration. In fact I remove my valve rings as they sounded better without but with silent coat in the case.

I presume it will work well with all electronics including solid state gear as it has been proven that capacitors and digital clocks can benefit seriously from vibration protection.

Let us know how you get on with this extra thick stuff Gary.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Oo-er Mrs...

Will do James.

The 2mm stuff worked great in my Oppo,
    used it to further damp the drive as well.

I'll do the same with the Audiolab,
    the unit is really well put together but the case could be beefed up.

The drive itself seems a bit biscuit tin-ey, so see how damping that pans out.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-05-2023 at 17:32.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Dammit.
    Just my luck.

Audiolab's cheaped out and used really soft metal T6 Torx screws to bolt the case together.
    Most of them have stripped heads from over tightening, I cant even crack open the case!

What a great start.

Tiny screw, head sits flush with the case, so my usual brute force methods wont work.

Time to get the Dremmel and cut those suckers out you think?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Cut a slot with dremel first and use a big bladed screwdriver.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Grant.

yup as above. you can also get a freeze lube that can free a stubborn or corroded bolt. think its aptly called 'crack it'
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast