+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier help please

I'm Ian.

Default Amplifier help please

Hi all I have been offered a choice of 2 amplifiers arotel ra 01 amplifier or a arcam a90 amplifier both in very good condition. Could anyone give there opinions on what's the better amplifier. Thank you

I'm Martin.

The Arcam has twice the power of the Rotel. 95 watts compared to 40 (into 8 ohm).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Depends on the prices asked. The Arcam has more value than the Rotel. But then it appears the Rotel has a MM phono input while it's an option on the Arcam, so may or may not be on yours.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Lawrence.

Also to consider, I actually prefer the sound of Rotel amps, so unless they were powering insensitive speakers, or go to loud volumes or in a large room, I'd probably prefer that on a SQ basis.

I find Arcam a bit grainy and closed in/rolled off near the top. Rotel always sounds more open and airy to me. YMMV.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Also to consider, I actually prefer the sound of Rotel amps, so unless they were powering insensitive speakers, or go to loud volumes or in a large room, I'd probably prefer that on a SQ basis.

I find Arcam a bit grainy and closed in/rolled off near the top. Rotel always sounds more open and airy to me. YMMV.
    pretty much the impression I've had over the years.

Depends on the speakers too. Went to a demo once, 7.2 set up with Monitor Audio and Harmon Kardon Citation amps. Hard, and bright as hell. We told the dealer and he swapped to a rack of Arcam amps. Sound was then perfect.

No idea what was happening there, but it happened.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dave.

There are far better amps to be had than either but it depends on budget.

I'm Lawrence.

True Dan D'Agostino are good.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    True Dan D'Agostino are good.

Bargain! Should give the Rotel a run for its money
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Bargain! Should give the Rotel a run for its money
    Not sure I'd be happy with the way the house lights dim when it's turned on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Captain Nemo called.. etc
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast