+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Urge To Upgrade

I'm Martin.

Default The Urge To Upgrade

I'm pretty happy with my system's sound as it stands. Bass could go a bit lower but only notice that really with dance or electronic music where the deep bass is integral to the music and I don't really listen to enough of that for it to be a real problem.

Have the radio on at work all day and that seems to give me my musical fix even if it is crap quality so only tend to use my system at the weekend now.

Each time I fire it up and play something - regardless of what it is - I'm taken aback by how good it sounds, possibly because I have that week's gap between using it. What's worse I know that really the only major gain I could make would be better loudspeakers (or subwoofers) and I'm not even looking at loudspeakers or subs but other equipment that at best would be different and not actually an upgrade in the true meaning of the word.

So why is it that I am still browsing ebay, forum ads, Hi-Fi Shark etc and contemplating buying stuff like DACs or transports or pre-amps. Maybe subconsciously I am not really that happy with things as they stand? I don't know.

So far been able to resist impulse to hit 'Buy It Now' but I think it's only a matter of time.

Is this normal? Does anyone else still have the urge to upgrade a perfectly fine set up? Or just buy something new for the sake of it? Is it a case of old habits die hard? I don't seem to be able to escape the clutches of 'upgraditis.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well our old friend Jerry (Jandl) had a fine system, yet was always trying new stuff. I asked why he did that, when others would be quite content with a system as good as his. He said that unless he listened to new gear, he might miss out on a significant upgrade.

It seemed to me he was just going around in circles - interestingly though, the one item he wouldn't change was his speakers (I believe they were the German MBL omni-directional speakers).

At one time my system was "state of the art", but that was fifty years ago. I still have most of it. And truth be told, I am still interested in looking at and reading about new gear, but whilst new gear must be better, it is now so expensive that I cannot afford it.

So I remain quite content with the system I have; one that will see me out.
    Last edited by Barry; 29-04-2023 at 11:07.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Ive gone other way and am pretty much all portable digital now. bar the cans and laptop i can get everything in a shoebox sized box easily. i have my eye on a new blutooth radio thingy which ive in line for one of first when they come out. price is ok and it got a decent advance review too... soundcore make it.
    otherwise im using a lot of fiio stuff and my focal cans are great with them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well our old friend Jerry (Jandl) had a fine system, yet was always trying new stuff. I asked why he did that, when others would be quite content with a system as good as his. He said that unless he listened to new geear, he might miss out on a significant upgrade.

It seemed to me he was just going around in circles - interestingly though, the one item he wouldn't change was his speakers (I believe they were the German MBL omni-directional speakers).

At one time my system was "state of the art", but that was fifty years ago. I still have most of it. And truth be told, I am still interested in looking at and reading about new gear, but whilst new gear must be better, it is now so expensive that I cannot afford it.

So I remain quite content with the system I have; one that will see me out.
    I've never met Jerry, but going on his posts on other fora his box swapping hasn't abated over the years, not one bit But they are all (relatively) low cost items it seems. As for his speakers - he has heard some pretty high-end alternatives, but nothing that suits his music tastes better than his MBLs.

Nice that you have a system that you feel will "see you out", but for many of us the urge to "improve" something that is already pretty damn good is always niggling. Maybe it's part of the human condition, or maybe it's a compulsion, like collecting things.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my system's sound as it stands. Bass could go a bit lower but only notice that really with dance or electronic music where the deep bass is integral to the music and I don't really listen to enough of that for it to be a real problem.

Have the radio on at work all day and that seems to give me my musical fix even if it is crap quality so only tend to use my system at the weekend now.

Each time I fire it up and play something - regardless of what it is - I'm taken aback by how good it sounds, possibly because I have that week's gap between using it. What's worse I know that really the only major gain I could make would be better loudspeakers (or subwoofers) and I'm not even looking at loudspeakers or subs but other equipment that at best would be different and not actually an upgrade in the true meaning of the word.

So why is it that I am still browsing ebay, forum ads, Hi-Fi Shark etc and contemplating buying stuff like DACs or transports or pre-amps. Maybe subconsciously I am not really that happy with things as they stand? I don't know.

So far been able to resist impulse to hit 'Buy It Now' but I think it's only a matter of time.

Is this normal? Does anyone else still have the urge to upgrade a perfectly fine set up? Or just buy something new for the sake of it? Is it a case of old habits die hard? I don't seem to be able to escape the clutches of 'upgraditis.'
    Last night, while playing a Kate Bush CD and thinking my set up has never sounded better (to my ears), I'm busy looking at Ebay for another amp, and looking at reviews/info.

Since I added my REL sub, the things that were bugging me about my speakers have become much less of a thing. So the speakers are staying. For now. So that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that although I love my Musical Fidelity amp and what it does, I'm looking at the next step up, which in all likelihood will just give me the same, just a bit more. I need someone who'll tell me to get a grip. Fortunately I have Mrs. P for that

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Martin, you may think your JM Labs are safe from the upgraditis bug, but I predict that in fourteen days time you will develop a Linkwitz itch that'll need scratching...we'll see

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Last night, while playing a Kate Bush CD and thinking my set up has never sounded better (to my ears), I'm busy looking at Ebay for another amp, and looking at reviews/info.

Since I added my REL sub, the things that were bugging me about my speakers have become much less of a thing. So the speakers are staying. For now. So that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that although I love my Musical Fidelity amp and what it does, I'm looking at the next step up, which in all likelihood will just give me the same, just a bit more. I need someone who'll tell me to get a grip. Fortunately I have Mrs. P for that
    I don't have a Mrs P to put any sort of brake on the proceedings, just have to rely on my own willpower which isn't great at the best of times.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Martin, you may think your JM Labs are safe from the upgraditis bug, but I predict that in fourteen days time you will develop a Linkwitz itch that'll need scratching...we'll see
    I heard the Linkwitz at a NEBO long ago now so not going to be a surprise to me but do want to hear them again, they are so impressive.

But would not work in my room as good, it's just too narrow.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Being on a Forum constantly brings about system anxiety in some folk as they see what everyone else is doing and it starts to get them itching for a change or just to hear something new in case they are potentially missing out.

I love watching other folk spending their cash and getting to a point where the old cliche phrases come out "end game system" or "that's me finished". There is obviously "upgraditus" or "Box swapping syndrome" or cash burning in my pocket syndrome. Audiofools are inflicted with all sorts of convoluted mental distractions where hifi is concerned.

I suffer too but to a lesser extent as I have now got a system that sounds very good indeed but there is always a nagging what if? I learnt however in this game that there is always something better and it never really ends but is just curtailed by available cash.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Being on a Forum constantly brings about system anxiety in some folk as they see what everyone else is doing and it starts to get them itching for a change or just to hear something new in case they are potentially missing out.

I love watching other folk spending their cash and getting to a point where the old cliche phrases come out "end game system" or "that's me finished". There is obviously "upgraditus" or "Box swapping syndrome" or cash burning in my pocket syndrome. Audiofools are inflicted with all sorts of convoluted mental distractions where hifi is concerned.

I suffer too but to a lesser extent as I have now got a system that sounds very good indeed but there is always a nagging what if? I learnt however in this game that there is always something better and it never really ends but is just curtailed by available cash.
    since i went back to work last year available cash isn't an issue which just makes it worse.

I go to the shows and I don't usually hear anything so much better than what I have that I think I must have it. (I was impressed by Kii3 but they were only really better in the low frequencies, wasn't enough to compel me to buy although did think seriously about it).

That wasn't always the case in the past so I think I must have made some progress. But urge to acquire new audio equipment does not seem to have diminished despite that.

It's not fear of missing out it's maybe just not doing something that I always used to do, and missing it.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast