+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: NEBO 13 Synthonia.

I'm Mike.

Is Alan “Firebottle” coming this year? His trousers are always a high point!

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    No, I think there's some big do relating to his paramotor thing, which clashes.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Sadly no. He will be sorely missed as Alan always contributes not only his massive enthusiasm but some interesting gear. I'll really miss his input and addition of colour and flair to the day. Hopefully he will get there next time.

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    anything 70s or 80s is of interest to me.
    I have a 50 year old "boom box" although it calls itself a "Stereophonic Music Centre" - unfortunately it weighs close to 150 kilos and won't fit in my car even if I took all the seats out.

Shame it and Alan aren't coming as we could have had a colour bake off between it and Alan's trousers!

I'm Grant.

dont recognise that model.. mind we didnt use a lot of rock ola's
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gordon.

It's a 1973/4 Rock-Ola 454, Grant. Other than re-capping and replacing the output transistors in the power amp it's pretty much original. Overall its in good condition, especially the cosmetics which tend to take a beating - you know, spilled beer etc.

This model is often called the Star Trek jukebox because of its resemblance to the original flight decks in the TV series. I like the way the top dome appears to float above the rest. In general most 70s jukeboxes were pretty ugly affairs IMO. They were akin to American cars - the 50s and 60s models were a wonderful over the top mixture of curved glass and chrome, whilst in the 70s US cars became even bigger and more powerful, but generally uglier too.

There are some very clever touches to the design. And the complex read-in/write-out mechanism is a foreunner of computer disk drives no doubt.

You sound like you have some experience with jukeboxes?
    Last edited by Halfway Tree; 08-05-2023 at 10:14. Reason: typos

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post
    It's a 1973/4 Rock-Ola 454, Grant. Other than re-capping and replacing the output transistors in the power amp it's pretty much original. Overall its in good condition, especially the cosmetics which tend to take a beating - you know, spilled beer etc.

This model is often called the Star Trek jukebox because of its resemblance to the original flight decks in the TV series. I like the way the top dome appears to float above the rest. In general most 70s jukeboxes were pretty ugly affairs IMO. They were akin to American cars - the 50s and 60s models were a wonderful over the top mixture of curved glass and chrome, whilst in the 70s US cars became even bigger and more powerful, but generally uglier too.

There are some very clever touches to the design. And the complex read-in/write-out mechanism is a foreunner of computer disk drives no doubt.

You sound like you have some experience with jukeboxes?
    i worked for a hire company as a tech. we mostly used rowe ami stuff and nsm ones.. but had a good few rock olas, wurlitzers, and a few more i cant think of off top of head. was a long time ago tbh and cd's were becoming more popular hence rowe, as they did a few, r92 was a twin cd with computer, and the more modern encore which was the backbone going into 90's.
    great things, and i still regret not buying a few when we shut up shop as we were offered stock cheap
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Well normally I have come to NEBO in an estate or a people carrier, however I’ve sold my Renault Scenic and as a result will be coming in my Volvo saloon. My thinking is I just fill it with as much gear as possible, so my KEF speakers, phono stage, 2 x amps, 1 or 2 turntables and probably an ikea table and maybe my RCA, so if anyone wants to bring some dirty records your more than welcome to put it to use

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Gordon.

Ah, so you have some experience at the business end of these machines. Quite different from if you are doing it for a hobby I imagine.

My excuse is that it was a jukebox that got me into music. I grew up in a tiny one-pub village. Back then children weren't allowed in pubs at all (I was about 10 or 11, start of the 60s), but during the day when the pub was closed the landlady would leave the back door open to a room that had a jukebox. A group of us including some older teens who had pocket money would go in that room and the music and the machine just fascinated me. Looking back I'm sure the landlady left the door open deliberately so she could make some extra money from the jukebox. But to us it was the coolest thing as we knew we were somewhere we werent supposed to be and listening to something that we didn't hear on the radio at home. As a group we stuck together during our teenage years and would sit around at my house listening to blues on a Dansette that I spent my all my money on.

So, all this time and money I've spent on this hobby over the years is down to a jukebox.

Apologies for the OT. But I wouldn't be going to NEBO either if it wasn't for that jukebox.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post
    Ah, so you have some experience at the business end of these machines. Quite different from if you are doing it for a hobby I imagine.

My excuse is that it was a jukebox that got me into music. I grew up in a tiny one-pub village. Back then children weren't allowed in pubs at all (I was about 10 or 11, start of the 60s), but during the day when the pub was closed the landlady would leave the back door open to a room that had a jukebox. A group of us including some older teens who had pocket money would go in that room and the music and the machine just fascinated me. Looking back I'm sure the landlady left the door open deliberately so she could make some extra money from the jukebox. But to us it was the coolest thing as we knew we were somewhere we werent supposed to be and listening to something that we didn't hear on the radio at home. As a group we stuck together during our teenage years and would sit around at my house listening to blues on a Dansette that I spent my all my money on.

So, all this time and money I've spent on this hobby over the years is down to a jukebox.

Apologies for the OT. But I wouldn't be going to NEBO either if it wasn't for that jukebox.
    no doubt about it. jukes are great fun, and thats what music is all about really...
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast