+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cartridge Running In .......

I'm Mark.

Default Cartridge Running In .......

Well the Phasemation PP-500 arrived promptly in the post from Hugo at Ammonite Audio, Norwich.

Installation completed and running in has commenced.

Hugo recommends around 60 hours in total. I have to say straight out of the box things were pretty damn good and after about 20 hours things are opening up in the midrange female vocals particularly showing more inflection and the top end is starting to have a bit more detail, cymbals have more decay and clarity while the bass is also gaining in timbre with double bass having that wonderful full rich tone when bowed and rasp when plucked !

So any regrets ? Hell no, this whole process has reinvigorated my love for vinyl, I haven’t played as many lp's in a listening session for a long time. The PP-500 is at least the equal of the Koetsu Rosewood, okay the Koetsu may have the edge in the midrange but the PP-500 brings everything together in a way the Koetsu doesn't quite manage and by that I mean, with the best recordings with the Koetsu can be stunning and totally enthralling, however, the PP-500 is just as memorising with just a smidge less in the midrange.

Where the PP-500 wins out is with the poorer recordings managing to make every LP one that you want to play both sides of.

Last edited by Rush2112; 20-04-2023 at 14:59.
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm John.

Excellent Mark, I’m sure that sounds good.

I'm Mark.

Hi JohnJo,

I have to say the PP-500 is a bit of a find. I had not come across Phasemation before a recommendation from Adrian (AJSki2fly) on here. Hugo at Ammonite Audio was very helpful and knowledgeable and at no point did I feel he was "selling" to me, it was more consultative and informative, offering a home demo of course made everything very easy.

Having tried several other cartridges and of course comparing it to my previous Koetsu Rosewood I have to say I am thoroughly delighted with the purchase.

I'm John.

Excellent, I bought a Sumiko a while back from him and he was very helpful.

I'm Mark.

Whilst looking for a new cartridge I contacted a few dealers around the country trying to find various cartridges and on the whole most were very helpful and knowledgeable, Hugo at Ammonite and Nigel at Iota Audio Design were excellent. However, there was one who quite frankly was down right rude and despite having one of the dearer cartridges at a very good discount brand new, given my experience and his reviews on line I would not risk spending around £2,700 with someone whos attitude to customers was so poor !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Steve.

If that was what he was like trying to make a sale, imagine how he'd be if there was a problem. When buying new, especially at those kind of prices, customer service is everything.

Name and shame!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, name and shame.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Hi JohnJo,

I have to say the PP-500 is a bit of a find. I had not come across Phasemation before a recommendation from Adrian (AJSki2fly) on here. Hugo at Ammonite Audio was very helpful and knowledgeable and at no point did I feel he was "selling" to me, it was more consultative and informative, offering a home demo of course made everything very easy.

Having tried several other cartridges and of course comparing it to my previous Koetsu Rosewood I have to say I am thoroughly delighted with the purchase.
    Super, Mark, I am very pleased you got to a cartridge that has worked out well for you. As we discussed buying a cartridge is a can of worms, IMHO, and it gets ever more daunting the more expensive they are. It is made even worse when it is virtually impossible to try them out.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mark.

Hi Adrian,

It is, as you say, really difficult to get to hear let alone have a home demo of cartridges. So I am very thankful for all the recommendations and testimonials which along with the opportunities to listen to some of them made the task a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread