+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The importance of being a clock .

I'm Martin.

Maybe there is something technical going on, who knows? I'm just saying that if we must have a technical reason (and I don't think we do), lower jitter is not going to be it.

Article here by someone who knows what he's talking about and doesn't have a vested interest:

https://archimago.blogspot.com/search?q=jitter
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

ive one of these that i used on my usb dacs successfully... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DLMZP...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Maybe there is something technical going on, who knows? I'm just saying that if we must have a technical reason (and I don't think we do), lower jitter is not going to be it.

Article here by someone who knows what he's talking about and doesn't have a vested interest:

https://archimago.blogspot.com/search?q=jitter
    Sadly this is not someone who knows much about anything connected to music and I would not trust anything he says or measures . I make it perfectly clear this is a personal and my own judgement . This person has been found to be corrupt and favouring certain commercial companies not a man to be trusted . If this is the competition then I would ask please close this thread down and delete it I will not be adding anything further on this issue .

I'm Clive.

Who knows what is occurring with external clocks working in conjunction with internal clocks…a lot of the decriers don’t even realise that a number of DACs run a PLL between internal and and external clocks…many think the internal clock is disabled…this is not the case.

My experience with an external clock is that there’s can be a considerable uplift in SQ, some of which is around soundstage, there are other areas too.

An important factor is the cable, a poor cable will wreck the clock signal…I’m pretty darned ambivalent about cables generally but in the case of an external clock the type cable and its connectors are significant. This isn’t too surprising and carrying something like a 10MHz signal is going to need good impedance matching and shielding.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Andrew.

Whatever the LB Clock adds to my digital chain of it is Jitter or something else I do not know but it works . As for emptying my wallet yes I did have to pay for it around £200 all told when you add the impedance fix in . Not cheap I suppose but compared to a full master clock at £4000 in a nice case I would say good value . @Firebottle has the skills to make his own very accurate OXCO based clock and the whole thing in his case was probably less than £60 all once he puts it in a case . Again not really braking the bank . Strange aside on this dCS advise that upsampling in even multiples is better than just using the highest figure you can achieve . I used the 24/192 setting for everything and when I was advised of this tried it and hastily at that time could not hear any difference so left it set that way . Now with the Delius slaved to the Purcell the pair change over automatically against the input . I started to notice that if I had been listening to a radio stream at 48Hz and then it switched to 44.1Hz for flac it did not sound as good as it should . So I changed the sample rate to 176.6Hz for Flac and the sound snapped back in to focus the same when any hires files are played changing to sample rate 24/192Hz sounds best . There is not much in this but enough to make me want get up and change it each time there is a switch on frequency . Before the use of the clock this was never noticeable now it is . If I take the clock out of circuit then it again becomes the same as before and no change for any change . So not sure what difference the external clock makes but it is there and it does work 😄

I'm James.

To my understanding reclocking the data packages before they get to the DAC has definite advantages as long as the clock is obviously more accurate than the one in the DAC. I know some folk believe this does not make a difference but if you are presenting the DAC with more accurately clocked data it means the DAC clock does not have to work so hard to clock the information internally.

I have heard the differences with reclocking and upscaling and they definitely improve aspects of the sound for me. So fiddling around with all this digital data does allow for improvements to be made. Noise and jitter getting into any part of the digital audio chain is a killer but once its removed so much of the potential of digital audio can be revealed. I heard a mains noise suppressor the other day that made my jaw drop as it had an astonishing effect on my digital audio. Taking away loads of mains noise and RFI etc can have as much impact on the final digital audio SQ as reclocking.

I am wondering if we have now reached the end point in discovering the problems that downgrade digital audio and whether there is any other aspects left to improve on. I hope so because I still feel more needs to be done to bring digital audio closer to analogue as I feel there is still a gulf between the two.

To my ears.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

funny that - I have yet to hear a turntable that equals my £500 DAC/transport combo and I never will because the things I don't like about analogue replay - the noise, the end of side distortion, the wow and flutter on sustained notes, the lack of definition in the low frequencies - are baked into the format.

They don't seem to bother some people at all I guess because they listen for different things, but I have an analytical ear and I listen out for problems with the sound and to me they are quite obvious. Not so bad that I can't enjoy music on vinyl, but still pretty obvious to me.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

funny that - I have yet to hear a turntable that equals my £500 DAC/transport combo and I never will because the things I don't like about analogue replay - the noise, the end of side distortion, the wow and flutter on sustained notes, the lack of definition in the low frequencies - are baked into the format.

They don't seem to bother some people at all I guess because they listen for different things, but I have an analytical ear and I listen out for problems with the sound and to me they are quite obvious. Not so bad that I can't enjoy music on vinyl, but still pretty obvious to me.
    I think most of those things can be solved if you chuck enough money at it (except noise inherent in an old record or a bad pressing) so they're not necessarily inherent in the medium, but in your case why would you when digital solves all the issues.

I'm James.

Funny I don't notice most of the problems you mention regarding vinyl playback. I never hear any IGD and as I play very clean pristine vinyl I get no noise at all other than music unlike digital where all I get is some sort of synthetic processed tiring noise.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I think most of those things can be solved if you chuck enough money at it (except noise inherent in an old record or a bad pressing) so they're not necessarily inherent in the medium, but in your case why would you when digital solves all the issues.
    well that's it, it solves the issues that concern me personally and it's also a lot cheaper as a bonus.

Of course I keep things simple - 16/44.1 only from compact disc, into a DAC, into a pre-amp, into a power amp, into the speakers. No point me using higher bitrate or sampling formats since I've done the blind test and could not for the life of me tell a difference. No internet, no streamer, no Roon (or whatever) end point and so on.

I wonder if complicating the issue (unnecessarily IMO) introduces problems that then need to be solved?
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast