+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted valve amp for Tannoy Lockwood Majors 15” MG

I'm Avinash.

Default Wanted valve amp for Tannoy Lockwood Majors 15” MG

Hi Guys. Looking for recommendations and suggestions for a valve amp to go with my newly purchased Lockwood Majors which have 15 inch Monitors Golds. What do you know about really great matches and what have you? I heard Marco’s Copper Amp about a decade ago with these and would say it was a fantastic match. Avinash

I'm Andrew.

Radford STA 100's, or Sondex S100.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Avinash.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Radford STA 100's, or Sondex S100.
    Hens teeth?

I'm Grant.

big push pull valve jobby is probably best... there are 2 monos in pe that might interest you. 70 watt i think.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Lockwood Majors are pretty efficient, a Radford STA15 or 25 would do the job in most circumstances.

You can see in old photos studios using Tannoy DC speakers with QUAD 303 amplifiers - 30 watts.

The TD Copper amp is rated at 50 watts but in Marco's room it won't use more than 10 and that's only on peaks. Better to have it and not need it etc but there's no need for loads of power with those speakers unless the room is enormous - and good, powerful valve amps are very expensive. Why pay a lot extra for something you'll never use?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by themystical View Post
    Hi Guys. Looking for recommendations and suggestions for a valve amp to go with my newly purchased Lockwood Majors which have 15 inch Monitors Golds. What do you know about really great matches and what have you? I heard Marco’s Copper Amp about a decade ago with these and would say it was a fantastic match. Avinash
    Hi Avinash.

I used to use a Copper amp and I can highly recommend it. But I have recently shifted over to a digital amp, its a Ultrafide U500DC. Very nice indeed and its certainly a refreshing way of enjoying these superb speakers even further.

Digital amps can go extremely well with 15" DC's. You just need to get it right.

Radford STA25 is also another highly recommended option as are AirTight.

Try to steer away from single ended amps if you can, they sound great, no doubt, but push-pull is where it's at.

Take a look at my website, it might be interesting for you.

https://www.tannoyista.com/

Regards
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

I have just the thing for the Tannoys a pair of Manley Snapper valve power amps which I used with my Tannoy DMT15s when I had them. These amps produce a true 100 watts per channel with four EL34s per amp, they have true balanced or single ended inputs.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by themystical View Post
    Hens teeth?
    Not at all. Speak to Will @ Radford Revival, you might be VERY VERY surprised.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Avinash.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Avinash.

I used to use a Copper amp and I can highly recommend it. But I have recently shifted over to a digital amp, its a Ultrafide U500DC. Very nice indeed and its certainly a refreshing way of enjoying these superb speakers even further.

Digital amps can go extremely well with 15" DC's. You just need to get it right.

Radford STA25 is also another highly recommended option as are AirTight.

Try to steer away from single ended amps if you can, they sound great, no doubt, but push-pull is where it's at.

Take a look at my website, it might be interesting for you.

https://www.tannoyista.com/

Regards
    What an interesting website. It looks like you have been through the full journey with your Lockwood Majors. I agree with your sentiment about digital amps. In fact the best performance I had from my previous 12” HPD’s were using Ncores and not SE or push pull valve amps. I have not tried my Ncores with the Majors yet - will give tehem a try and provide some feedback.

I'm Avinash.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoydmt View Post
    I have just the thing for the Tannoys a pair of Manley Snapper valve power amps which I used with my Tannoy DMT15s when I had them. These amps produce a true 100 watts per channel with four EL34s per amp, they have true balanced or single ended inputs.
    Mike those things look really good but possible eye watering in cost? Please PM me what you might be looking for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast