+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on Croft pre-amp issue.

I'm John.

Default Advice on Croft pre-amp issue.

Hi
    I have a lovely 2 box Croft preamp (micro A upgraded to 25RS+ spec by Glenn about 5 years ago). It has developed an intermittent issue whereby after being powered up for a while it makes a noise that I can best describe as wind blowing through trees. It stops when the preamp is switched off and then on again.
    I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what could be the cause of this? Faulty valve maybe?

Thanks for any thoughts.....

I'm James.

I had that occur with a faulty valve John, it is a symptom of a valve running out of spec and starting to get noisy.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

Easy enough to change a valve to see if it is that, assuming you have some spares.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Easy enough to change a valve to see if it is that, assuming you have some spares.
    The issue is so intermittent (it can go for days without occuring) that trying to solve by random valve swapping could be a very drawn out process.
    Given that it occurs on all inputs, is it safe to assume that the line stage valve is the likely culprit?

I'm Alan.

That would be a good guess.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread