+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speakers for Meridian 551

I'm Geoff.

Unless it's been checked it's very easy to land yourself with Corellis that have had the older B200 SP1014 from the Chorale fitted. They look near identical but have a slightly thicker cone coating of Plastiflex damping with generally more obvious brush marks.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Horacio.

The seller has no idea what drivers his speakers have, better forget them.

I came across this company, Russell K. Was he the designer of the hard to find SKS Intaglio speakers?

https://www.russell-k.com/red-50/

I'm Pete.

I find Proac speakers usually work very well with Meridian amplification. Having heard Proac Studio 1's (mine) hooked up to a Meridian 551 (friends) in the distant past and performing well I suggest looking for a pair of Studio 1 or the later Studio 100.
    Maybe these - but they do look a little overpriced to me

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...r-of-speakers/

I'm Horacio.

I'm Geoff.

They look good.

Even the crossover is untouched by the look of it. Don't worry about the discoloured resistor, that's just the ceramic coating, it'll work fine.
    I have two pairs, one with all original components in the crossover and one updated with new capacitors. They both sound excellent, but I suspect the untouched ones may just have the edge .

I use all four in paralleled pairs, it all sounds remarkably good!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Bit of a curveball here, but have at it.

Fantastic match between my own Meridian 557 amp, and Wharfedale Evo 4.4s.
    Bit over your £800 budget but the 4.2 standmounts share same drive units and design philosphy, and come in at under £800.
    Very well reviewed speakers.

My Evo's have superb synergy with my Meridian 557 amp, perhaps with your 551 too, they are around the same generation?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Horacio.

The 557 is a 200W per channel into 8Ω and 300W per channel into 4Ω, my 551 has a mere 55W per channel into 8Ω and 100W per channel into 4Ω, it is a big difference.

There is a pair on https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...o-44-speakers/

I'm Gary.

The Wharfedales are easy to drive mate,
    wouldnt be a problem.

The 551 has a fair ammount of grunt too.
    Just another option
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    The 557 is a 200W per channel into 8Ω and 300W per channel into 4Ω, my 551 has a mere 55W per channel into 8Ω and 100W per channel into 4Ω, it is a big difference.

There is a pair on https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...o-44-speakers/
    it still has the same regulation though even though it is lower power. Output almost doubles as impedance halves. Should drive almost all speakers with ease.

Certainly won't have any bother with those Wharfedale's like Gaz says and will go very loud with them without clipping.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    it still has the same regulation though even though it is lower power. Output almost doubles as impedance halves. Should drive almost all speakers with ease.

Certainly won't have any bother with those Wharfedale's like Gaz says and will go very loud with them without clipping.
    I agree. Few speakers demand anything like fifty watts in normal domestic use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast