+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Running in" a new cartridge - what exactly does it mean?

I'm Phil.

Default "Running in" a new cartridge - what exactly does it mean?

I've used the phrase recently when writing about my recent acquisition of a 2M Bronze...."sounds great and will no doubt sound even better when it's run in...".

Played a new (used, but new to me) record last night (which was mint, incidentally - 1986 pressing with no noise...take note, Amazon) and muttered to my other half "I think the cartridge has run in...sounds like it's come into its own now..."

But what exactly does that mean in relation to cartridges? Is it the initial "run in" down to the minute wear of the stylus after a few hours? Or is it down to the inner wiring of the cart somehow changing/morphing/improving with use?

Genuinely curious to know.

I'm James.

I think it is mainly the suspension system (rubber) wearing in and becoming flexible. The diamond stylus does not really wear enough in the first 50-100hours maybe a touch but not so you would really hear it. But after maybe 800 -1000 hours the wear on the diamond will then possibly become audible.

This is just my observation and opinion.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

The honest answer is nobody really knows.

The suspension will change over time and we *think* is affected by ambient temperature.

The diamond profile will change over time and will degrade as time goes by.

The internal wiring may change but this is heavily disputed. Some think it needs time to "settle or burn in".

Oxidation to various contact pin areas has been discussed and some think oxidation may have an impact on signal carriage, again no real evidence here.

Probably a few other components I've missed. I'm sure others will contribute.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    The honest answer is nobody really knows.
    Dead right!

Factor in stylus profile, suspension compliance, tracking force, record cleanliness, music choices, etc. and the answer is anybody's guess .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Interesting when you try and look up stylus "run in" or even worn stylus it is very difficult to get absolute definitive information. Even a worn diamond can be very tricky to see unless it is very worn!

How to measure everything else - suspension, wiring etc. I think personally it is the suspension compliance and diamond tip wear that give up the ghost and run out of manufacturers specification but they never publish this information but they must be able to measure it some how?

I had a 2M black stylus that did not sound right from new even though I could not see anything obviously wrong with it. It was sent back to Ortofon and *8* weeks later they came back to me and said it was not within specification and they sent me a new one. But they did not tell me what part was running out of specification just that it did not meet their specification.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Phil.

Interesting to see what I'd thought was also in the heads of everyone else, i.e. nobody knows.

I do know that it sounds better now than when first installed...the soundstage has more depth and there's that indefinable "audio umami" thing going on. But after watching the Ortofon video where a cartridge is taken to pieces, it's hard to see what could possibly become "run in" to the point where the output improves.

One of those inexplicable things, I suppose, like the moon being exactly the right size and the right distance from the Earth to allow it to create solar eclipses or the logic-defying fact that Bananarama ever got a recording contract.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    .... or the logic-defying fact that Bananarama ever got a recording contract.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Interesting to see what I'd thought was also in the heads of everyone else, i.e. nobody knows.

I do know that it sounds better now than when first installed...the soundstage has more depth and there's that indefinable "audio umami" thing going on. But after watching the Ortofon video where a cartridge is taken to pieces, it's hard to see what could possibly become "run in" to the point where the output improves.

One of those inexplicable things, I suppose, like the moon being exactly the right size and the right distance from the Earth to allow it to create solar eclipses or the logic-defying fact that Bananarama ever got a recording contract.
    No mystery there - Bananarama were marginally less shit than the other girl groups. Sometimes that's enough.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

and they liked big bananas
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    and they liked big bananas
    Oh err misses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast