+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cart upgrade recommendations please?

I'm simon.

Default Cart upgrade recommendations please?

interested in a cart upgrade for my fairly modest system.
    deck is a Rega RP3 (rb303 arm) into Mofi studiophono stage.
    at the moment i have a Rega Exact cart which i would like to see if i can improve on.

the "natural" step would be , i suppose, a Rega Ania but i believe the stylus is a step backward from the Exact.
    This would mean the better option would be the Ania Pro which has a better stylus.
    these of course are more expensive and are at the top of my budget (£800 ish).

i dont mind sticking with MM and one that has caught my attention so far is the Sumiko Amethyst, which falls well within my budget.
    i do like a "natural to warm" sound and listen mostly to rock/pop, nothing too heavy on the rock front though.
    i would like a tad more high end detail than what i am hearing from the setup i have and maybe a lower noise floor, which i understand the amethyst may have.
    having said this , it is possible my feeling that i am lacking high end detail is down to my 58 year old ears!

anyway, looking forward to any suggestions for me to research further.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Kevin.

Nagaoka MP300 may fit the bill.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Nagaoka MP300 may fit the bill.
    will look into that , thanks Kevin
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm Kevin.

Another interesting choice is the Nagaoka JT-80 BK. Have a look at the reviews.
    I am not sure it will add more detail than you have now.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Nagaoka are like the Alpha Romeo of cartridges. Everyone should have one at some point in their lives.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gerald.

I have just fitted a RigB VM540ML on my SL1210 with a Jelco 750D it is out of this world.

I'm Pete.

Hi Simon

You mentioned that your hearing may be "lacking high end detail" due to age.
    I have to admit that happened to me so I went along to my local Audiology Clinic and had some hearing tests done.
    The result showed that I was definitely not hearing higher frequencies as well as I should and I ended up with a pair of hearing aids that were "tuned" for my hearing. It has certainly increased my music enjoyment.

Please don't be offended but can I suggest that it may be worth starting with a hearing test *before* parting with cash for a new cartridge.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nagaoka are like the Alpha Romeo of cartridges. Everyone should have one at some point in their lives.
    I've had a couple of each. Unlikely to be repeated, but they were OK.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Hi Simon

You mentioned that your hearing may be "lacking high end detail" due to age.
    I have to admit that happened to me so I went along to my local Audiology Clinic and had some hearing tests done.
    The result showed that I was definitely not hearing higher frequencies as well as I should and I ended up with a pair of hearing aids that were "tuned" for my hearing. It has certainly increased my music enjoyment.

Please don't be offended but can I suggest that it may be worth starting with a hearing test *before* parting with cash for a new cartridge.
    thats not a bad shout, Pete.
    i also listen to headphones on a regular basis, are your aids ok with them too

I'm Pete.

Hi Simon

Never really been a headphone user myself...
    As my hearing aids perch behind the top of my ears and are connected to the ear inserts by little tubes I would not recommend headphones with this type of hearing aid. I suggest asking an Audiologist if they are aware of hearing aids that could be used with headphones, I suspect there are some but have no experience of them myself.

I guess an alternative would be to feed stereo through a graphic equaliser, set up to compensate for any hearing loss, then to headphones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast