+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Optical splitter

I'm Phil.

Default Optical splitter

My apologies if the question has been asked before, but is there any significant loss of fidelity if a splitter is used to connect two optical sources (in my case, the TV and CD player) to the same input on the amp?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As far as I can tell such devices do exist, but if used as you intend only one source can be used at a time; which would mean unplugging the source you weren't using. This somewhat defeats your intention: I do not know of splitters where the input can be switched from one input to another.

A typical example of what is available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAWAUX-Spli...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
    Barry

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As far as I can tell such devices do exist, but if used as you intend only one source can be used at a time; which would mean unplugging the source you weren't using. This somewhat defeats your intention: I do not know of splitters where the input can be switched from one input to another.

A typical example of what is available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAWAUX-Spli...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
    I took the plunge on something very similar earlier today, Barry, also from Amazon. Snagged another couple of optical cables, too. The unit I bought is switchable betwixt one or other of the inputs.

I’ll report my findings here.

I'm Phil.

Didn't work.

Ah, well...cost me nothing to try it.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Didn't work.

Ah, well...cost me nothing to try it.
    There are some quite chunky mechanical optical switches which do work quite well. I have several, and they have been useful for fairly static applications. I may have bought an optical splitter at some time in the past, but as I can’t remember particularly well, either it/they didn’t work well, or I couldn’t find a good enough use for it/them. I think there are some opto-electronic switches which can do quite complicated things if you really need them, but at a price.
    Dave

I'm Andrew.

Another option that you might consider is getting a TOSLINK to SPDIF convertor for one source that connect to another digital in on you amp .

I'm James.

Recently used a hdmi splitter , kind of worked but it mostly wanted to lock on to one signal, so I suppose it didn't really work
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread