+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early thoughts re the Graham Slee Novo

I'm Phil.

Default Early thoughts re the Graham Slee Novo

I've been trialling different genres and formats through the recently acquired Graham Slee Novo headphone amp over the past few nights.

My initial, happy reaction to the first few tracks funnelled through the unit have been tempered somewhat by further plays.

I've been doing an A/B comparison with vinyl (Slee and Marantz amp headphone outputs) and an A/B/C comparison with CDs (Slee, Marantz amp/Marantz CDP headphone outputs).

In almost every case, the Slee has been out-performed by either the output from the amp or the CD player.

The bass performance from the Slee is not as rich as first assessed...if anything, the output is too "toppy" (for the want of a better word...it's the musician in me), almost to the point of being annoying. Bowie's "Heart's Filthy Lesson" on vinyl via the Slee lacks the stomach punch I'd come to expect, while though the amp it comes alive. Same track on CD is much the same, with the CDP's headphone output being indistinguishable from that of the amp.

Underworld's "Little Speaker" on vinyl also disappointed; such a dense mix deserves some serious middle and bottom end, but the Slee was slightly muddy in both departments. Via the amp, the record was immediately engaging. Playing the CD version gave much the same result on the Slee as the vinyl had, while the amp and CDP both brought the track to life, with the CDP outperforming the amp, I felt, although there wasn't much daylight between them.

The Japanese pressing of Joni Mitchel's "Hejira" fared slightly better via the Slee - the soundstage was impressive, although the higher frequencies barely stayed inside the tolerance zone. Pastorius's bass was present, but lacked the character I'd come to expect. Through the amp, it felt as if a curtain had been drawn aside and the higher frequencies tamed...a much more pleasant experience.

LTJ Bukem's "Undress Your Mind" - on vinyl and CD from his rather splendid 'Journey Inwards' album - simply reinforced my feelings for everything else I'd played; lacking that certain something in the bass, giving a bit too much in the top end. Both formats via the amp were incredible.

I do realise that there is some burn-in time to happen with the Slee; I bought it from a hi-fi dealer on eBay who had listed it as "mint" (which it is), but I've no idea if it had been used as a demo model or not. I'll stick with it for a couple of weeks and then move it on if I think it's not for me.

I'm simon.

i moved on from GS years ago.
    i used to have one of the Solo range headphone amps and initially thought it was great, until i heard others.
    before i moved it on i opened it up to look at the components. very little inside and i was quite shocked. a lot of money for what it was.
    the optional psu1 was rediculously expensive also imo.

i went down the musical fidelity xcan route (with mods) which blew thee solo out of the water, even before it was modded.

currently i use a Project Ember or my Violectric V200 . had both for years now and will not part with either.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Kevin.

You judge value by the number of components inside? An interesting approach….

I quite like my Solo UL, but I have never heard the Novo. I am not tempted to change it, as the Solo UL is bought and paid for, and I like the sound. I am sure there are better headphone amps out there, but I don’t want to go down the road of finding one I like better.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

i gave up with wired and amps and just use wireless ones now. tbh they are so good now that unless your really picky you wont notice.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post

I quite like my Solo UL, but I have never heard the Novo. I am not tempted to change it, as the Solo UL is bought and paid for, and I like the sound. I am sure there are better headphone amps out there, but I don’t want to go down the road of finding one I like better.
    "i used to have one of the Solo range headphone amps and initially thought it was great, until i heard others."
    this prompted my "interesting approach" if you are happy with yours then great
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm Kevin.

This is the bit I am referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    before i moved it on i opened it up to look at the components. very little inside and i was quite shocked. a lot of money for what it was.

We had better not start talking about cables then.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm simon.

i know exactly which bit you were referring to. i just explained why i did what i did.
    because other amps trounced it.

I'm Phil.

Left the Slee alone for a couple of weeks and returned to it last night for an hour's listening. It's on the same circuit as the Slee Reflex M, which means it's powered up from mid afternoon to when we go to bed and then most of every weekend. Didn't do any A-B comparisons with the headphone outputs of either the amp or CD player this time, but it still sounds a bit toppy.

I assumed that almost a month of burn-in would sort the unit, but it's unclear if this has happened. I did enjoy its performance when I pushed the live version of the Fripp/Sylvian track "Damage" through it, but as above, I don't know what the amp or CD would have done with that (or any other) track. I probably need to do another A-B-C comparison session at some point.

I'll persevere for a couple of weeks and then move it on if I don't feel it's for me.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post

I judge value by the mark up attached to manufacturing costs, but accept that should include R&D etc to get the component to where it is.

So if it has a small number of parts that aren't particularly expensive I don't expect it to cost as much as something with lots of parts made in the same country with a similar amount of R&D behind it. I'm also prepared to pay a premium for UK made Vs China to reflect the higher costs of manufacturing (and the % margin on top).

I'm Grant.

i had a novo(i think it was a novo) many years ago when i had my ms a1000 and used it with a decent pair of at headphones. it sounded ok, and was better than most onboard head amps on integrateds' i had tried. the ms didnt have a socket hence why i got it at time. i sold all 3 after about a year i guess.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast