+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Occasional hum

I'm Kevin.

I agree, hence my stubborn attitude to fix it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I agree, hence my stubborn attitude to fix it.
    I just don't have the energy to seriously tackle it right now. There are a few things I have not tried yet that might work.

I have music with no hum with the Philips, that's good enough for the moment.

Ground loops are the worst thing ever, so hard to solve. And even when you do fix them you don't really know exactly why the fix worked.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

I have been thinking about this during a quiet day at work.
    There may have been a basic point I have overlooked.

The phono stage is built into an anodised aluminium case. The anodising has been removed to ensure a good contact is made for earth bonding.
    However, the mating face of the case are still anodised. To get good EMI/RFI rejection, then ideally these should be metal to metal contact, so I may have to remove a spot locally on each joint to improve the shielding, or fitting a small bonding strap between parts of the case.
    I shall investigate further.

Aluminium oxide is non-conductive, so removing locally it seems sensible.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

if it screws into the case then the screw should theoretically be a good conductor.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Unless they are inserted into an anodised countersink, using anodised screws?
    Kevin

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If they are self-tapping screws, then they will make an electrical contact. Even if the screws have an anodised thread, the act of screwing them in will tend to remove the anodised surface.

Is it possible for you to show a photo of the unit and the fixings?
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

They are not self tapping. I will add a photo, but it is a bog standard Chinese aluminium case.
    Countersunk M3 (or something close) screws.
    Last edited by CageyH; 05-04-2023 at 15:59.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

you could always re tap the hole. even same size should clean it if its got any on it... scratching inside around the hole may work a bit at least. Caustic Soda will remove it also.. also known as Sodium Hydroxide.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

This is very similar, if not the actual case - https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-e...l-p-14211.html
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    you could always re tap the hole. even same size should clean it if its got any on it... scratching inside around the hole may work a bit at least. Caustic Soda will remove it also.. also known as Sodium Hydroxide.

I have a set of taps in the garage.

At the moment, I am not touching it, as it is quiet, but I was thinking about why it was so difficult to resolve, and what could I do to shield it better, including ideas of copper lining etc. which should not be needed if I have good electrical bonding between the component parts of the case.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast