+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Occasional hum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Kevin.

Default Occasional hum

Occasionally, when listening to my system (through speakers or headphones) I get a short burst of a humming noise.
    How do I find out what the source of this noise is, and more importantly, how do I get rid of it?

I will be checking to see if it is source dependent later today, as I noticed it yesterday when listening to vinyl.

At a guess, I would say it is probably in the 50Hz range, but it could be a multiple of 50Hz. It usually lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds.

I am thinking of fitting a filtered IEC to my mains block as a first step, as I think it is noise on the mains. Any other suggestions?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

lighting or fridge are the usual culprits.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    lighting or fridge are the usual culprits.
    It could be worse than that, as I have a fridge freezer, a fridge and a freezer, two air conditioning units and a heat pump, so I guess either of these could be causing it?
    Kevin

I'm Andrew.

This does sometimes happen to me when our bathroom lighting goes on.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kevin.

And it it is mains noise, I understand there is no way to filter it, as I would have no mains….
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

fit a separate spur for the hi fi maybe. if its new then have you fitted any new electrical stuff lately?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Thanks Grant. I already have a separate spur, as there are no ring mains in France.
    There is also a “Linky” Smart meter in just about every house that will also add noise to the mains.

It may be more apparent in the evening when the LED lights are on, and the heating is working more. I shall investigate further, but this may just be something I have to live with.

It is not new, but it is starting to annoy me more. It has been colder recently, so it may well be heat pump related.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

could be the led lights. they are switch mode..
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Anyway to get rid of it then?
    I am surrounded by SMPS and variable frequency compressors.

I have an old AG1500 (that has a mechanical buzz) that I could fit to see if it fixes the mains noise.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

guess if you go through all the smps one by one you might find the one thats causing it. if its new then it may be last one fitted(but alas not nesessarily lol). not easy sometimes to trace it. it takes patience and time unless you get lucky... might never find it tho, and its something you never thought of sadly..
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast