+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Occasional hum

I'm Grant.

i thought you had already removed the phono?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

To be honest, I am losing track of what I have done….
    With a SS phono, there is no noise. With my hybrid phono, there is now a slight noise.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    To be honest, I am losing track of what I have done….
    With a SS phono, there is no noise. With my hybrid phono, there is now a slight noise.
    Hi, you say hybrid phono so I presume a SS/Valve design?

What valves does it have? Some are very microphonic and can easily pick up RF interference especially from transformers? I would try siting as far away from other gear as possible using some long cables, obviously you will be a bit restricted but the Phono lead from the TT. so you might need to move the rest as far away as possible to try it out.

My Sunilda phono stage(SS/Valve) will pick up mobile phono data feeds if I put it near it, again RF pick up.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Kevin.

Yes, self built on a blank BB3 PCB.

Siemens PCC88 x 2
    New production Tesla ECC803S gold pin.

I may be kicking myself later…. And your comment above may have hit the nail on the head.
    Valve damping rings installed, buzz is probably the lowest it has been for a while at the moment.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

The 5G mast is 1.4km from my house.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

i did read once that 5g, and possibly other emmiters can affect speaker cable too and the person started using shielded cable... dunno if its true tho.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

RF can be picked up by the speaker cables, the problem arises when the impedance seen from the amplifier output isn't low at very high frequencies and the RF finds its way into the amplifier.
    Usually cured or prevented by having a Zobel network across the speaker outputs.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Kevin.

Looking back on everything I have done, the only time the phono stage has been dead quiet was with the AG1500 providing the power. This would suggest to me that it is mains borne interference, which a phone pre amplifier is likely to be susceptible to, more than anything else.

The next stage for me is likely to be an investigation in “non-HiFi” power filters.
    I will also isolate the phono stage a good distance from everything else and see what that gives.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

The system has been on for half an hour since my latest fix.
    So far, no hum.

Usually it makes the noise just after I post here, so yes, I am tempting fate, deliberately, as I ordered an Isotek Gemini earlier today, and I still have time to cancel the order.

In fact, I have just heard two very faint buzzes. It has to be power related, as I have put ferrites on the internal power cables of my phono stage.

The noise is still there, but much more acceptable now.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

not silly expensive but not cheap if you don't need it. some of these things can destroy dynamics alas so if you dont need then best without but if its needed....
    i used my regen when i needed it but later they fitted a new tx down rd and it cleared al the crp i was getting on mains.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast