+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Occasional hum

I'm Kevin.

So how does the AG1500 fix the ground loop/faulty equipment?
    The system is silent with the mains regenerator in place, which is more than can be said for the AG1500.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    So how does the AG1500 fix the ground loop/faulty equipment?
    The system is silent with the mains regenerator in place, which is more than can be said for the AG1500.
    from what I can gather (and I don't really understand this) the transformer will suppress the mains components causing the hum but does not actually eliminate the ground loop.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

you could try a band-stop filter...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band-stop_filter
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Thanks Grant. That looks interesting.

I think I have a temporary fix. I connect just the BB3 to the AG1500, so it is silent when I listen to vinyl.
    This removes the occasional hum/buzz.

Edited to add:

I have a temporary fix, as what ever is causing the noise is not something I can turn off.
    So my system is plugged in to the mains, with the exception of the phono stage.
    The system is now silent, but I want to get rid of the AG1500 power regenerator, as I know this is throwing noise back into the mains
    Last edited by CageyH; 19-03-2023 at 13:13.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Can a ground loop be intermittent?
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

yup they can, especially if some big electrical unit is kicking in and altering the earth system. transformers will mask the issue but wont solve it obviously. being a french power system too may make it more difficult to track for non french if you know what i mean.

maybe a better mains tx system might be your best bet?
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

I have ordered an iFi AC Purifier to see what that does, and if it has a negative effect, I will send it back.

An isolation transformer could be a solution, but if this is a ground issue, I need to find it.
    My concern is that this is due to all the smart meters that send data to EDF on the power network. Filters do exist, but they are relatively expensive.
    I guess I need to trawl some French Hifi fora.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

The only leads I have not swapped out in my system are TT to Phono.
    I may try these tonight, but I still think it is mains related.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

phono leads especially and phono stages can produce hum, often fields from power cables etc.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

I think I may have cracked this. At long last, I hear you say.
    My system has been on for an hour since I changed something. Before the change, I heard the buzz. Since the change, so far so good.

The culprit? A while ago I plugged a generic USB lead from my PC to my DAC, so I could do a direct comparison with and with out my Audio-GD DI2014 in the system. I left it plugged in, as I was lazy, and what harm could it do? I have removed that USB lead, and all I can hear now is a bit of valve hiss. No more Buzz every now and again….

I am (really) hoping this is my last post on this subject, but thought it may be useful to share my findings.

I guess I don’t need the iFi purifier now.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast