+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current production tubes

I'm Kevin.

Default Current production tubes

As the prices of “NOS” tubes are starting to get silly, has anybody tried any of the current production tubes vs the “NOS” variants?

eBay seems full of dubious “NOS” valves, and prices for ECC83 from trusted suppliers are starting to get silly.
    I know that there is a limited supply of good NOS tubes, and there is a high risk that the tubes being sold from some places are either fake, or potentially lower quality stock.

And prices are only going to get worse, so I am interested to see if anybody has tried any of the newer production tubes to see if I should get some more NOS while I can, or if the new versions are good enough.

I am also interested to know if anybody knows of a supplier for PCC88 at a reasonable price.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrew.

Yep. I tried the new Brimar CV4004 and thee EL34 and they were very good. Genelex are also one of my favourites, probably the best KT88 out there at the moment, I have also got their version of 300B, a guess I'm a bit of a fan boy!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Graeme.

I can vouch for the current production 2A3-40 valves from JJ. I believe they are the best of the ones you can buy these days.

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I had a look here as well, as it reviews some of the valves I am interested in http://www.audiodrom.net/en/special-...lmost-no-money

Based on both, I have ordered a gold pin JJ ECC803S.
    I also contacted the Tube Amp Doctor, and they have recommended the TAD 7025 / E83CC REDBASE HIGHGRADE Selection.
    Apparently, it is a very low noise valve. I may give one a try if the ECC803S does not work out.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

The JJ ECC803S has arrived. I hope to get time to listen a bit later today.
    Kevin

I'm James.

What position are you using it in Kev, phono stage, line stage?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

Phono stage.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

I can finally get round to listening to my system with the JJ Tesla ECC803S tonight, now that we have power back on in the house.
    Kevin

I'm James.

Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

I like the JJ Tesla ECC803S gold pin.
    It is quiet - which to me is important in a phono stage.
    The dynamics are good, and the bass is great. The sound is "crisp".

When I look at what people are starting to ask for valves, I am glad alternatives like this are available.
    I have one of these, but mine is badged MAZDA, and is an STTA version - https://www.ebay.fr/itm/285179596032...Bk9SR9CTt4DaYQ

€600
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast