+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone rigged up a PA power amp in a home set-up ?

I'm Paul.

Default Has anyone rigged up a PA power amp in a home set-up ?

I used to DJ a lot and had my own PA that I didn't really need, but came as part of a package when I bought some CDJs and a mixer in a flight case. It was a good deal and I knew the kit would hold its value but I only used it probably half a dozen times before moving it on.
    Two big speakers (about the size of a coffin together) and stands, plus a hefty power amp with both balanced XLR inputs/outputs and the larger, old-headphone-jack sized ones too.

It was a nice amp, good quality and obviously very powerful and I always wondered how it would sound if I rigged it up in a home hifi.
    At the time I didn't have a pre/power set-up so I couldn't hear for myself so I thought I'd ask the question if any of you have ?

Those amps are relatively cheap, especially second-hand.

On the flipside, I once DJed a friend's wedding with a mate and we used my NAD amp - just a £150 jobbie - and his hefty Cerwin Vega speakers. I had decks and a mixer and we just went through the AUX input. I was stunned at how loud those CVs could go, easily filling a fairly large hall.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Brady.

Not sure if you mean a PA only type amp or serious band/nightclub type kit, but:

I have a pair of HH V150L running as monobloc for L/R, and also an HH MX170 stereo amp.
    I hook them up every now and again.
    Quad 520F is my usual ( as well as a pair of Quad 405's (AM8/16), so the HH's are good for a bit of variation.
    Just a different sound and work well for me.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by bardley View Post
    Not sure if you mean a PA only type amp or serious band/nightclub type kit, but:

I have a pair of HH V150L running as monobloc for L/R, and also an HH MX170 stereo amp.
    I hook them up every now and again.
    Quad 520F is my usual ( as well as a pair of Quad 405's (AM8/16), so the HH's are good for a bit of variation.
    Just a different sound and work well for me.

What speakers do you use with these amplifiers? The Rogers LS5/8?
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Not sure if you mean a PA only type amp or serious band/nightclub type kit
    It was a DJ PA, so one power amp with a mixer feeding it and two large PA speakers playing the music.
    Definitely NOT a band rig.

I'm pretty sure the brand name was ProSound and it was very close to this unit :

Having looked on eBay now, there's loads for around fifty quid and new ones for less than a ton at online suppliers.
    I'm quite tempted just for the heck of it.
    I wonder how they'd compare to my Meridian monoblocks
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Brady.

I have the LS5/8 with the AM8/16, and have a another pair of Rogers for the other amps.
    I did try a standalone crossover with the LS5/8's, running the other amps, but the correct amps are just so much better.

I'm Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    It was a DJ PA, so one power amp with a mixer feeding it and two large PA speakers playing the music.
    Definitely NOT a band rig.

I'm pretty sure the brand name was ProSound and it was very close to this unit :

Having looked on eBay now, there's loads for around fifty quid and new ones for less than a ton at online suppliers.
    I'm quite tempted just for the heck of it.
    I wonder how they'd compare to my Meridian monoblocks
    Try and find a spec sheet for them? For that money it'd be worth it for the listening experience and see.

I'm Adam.

I have a Yamaha PC-5002M that I really don't know what to do with, to be honest. It weights 61kg, has two mains leads and puts out 750W per channel into 4 Ohms. It's actually virtually identical to the vanishingly rare, highly sought after and hugely expensive Japan-only Yamaha 101M domestic model. http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-101M.html

Sound wise it's superb with a surprising delicacy when required. However it also has the sort of bass depth and control that I've rarely ever heard elsewhere. Hell, it gets tight, punchy bass out of Goodmans Maxim 2s!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Phil.

we use american audio pro audio amps in a set up . however the fans make quite a noise , i could not manage them in a domestic setting
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    we use american audio pro audio amps in a set up . however the fans make quite a noise , i could not manage them in a domestic setting
    Are they listenable apart from the fans? Interested if they actually produce a good sound when compared to the mainstream brands we know as HiFi.
    I do wonder if there's a little 'emperor's new clothes' going on sometimes.
    On that note, is there scope for a thread of useful vocabulary words and phrases to describe sound?
    Eg.
    Smoothed off rough highs
    Smothering life out of music
    Amazing sparkle
    Natural and transparent
    ....you know the one's that keep appearing.

I'm Shaun.

I used two Crown XLS amps bridged a few years back. The sound was effortlessly powerful but ragged and very unrefined. In the end, they had to go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast