+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone rigged up a PA power amp in a home set-up ?

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by bardley View Post
    Fantastic...I bet that sounds something special.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    The KEF's are really nice speakers with a good low in room bass response. They also produce a huge stereo effect that is really obvious with electronic music. Yes, I've heard better treble definition from Spendor speakers but they were not as good all round as the KEF's in my system. These speakers are amazing with synth music. My power amp produces huge amounts of low bass with incredible grip and propulsion as well as a nice restrained high end but it comes at a price. With the old energy prices it was no issue but it is now. The amp on standby consumes 70 Watts which rises to 720 Watts the moment you switch it on. Anyhow, anything good has a price I guess.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by bardley View Post
    Are they listenable apart from the fans? Interested if they actually produce a good sound when compared to the mainstream brands we know as HiFi.
    I do wonder if there's a little 'emperor's new clothes' going on sometimes.
    On that note, is there scope for a thread of useful vocabulary words and phrases to describe sound?
    Eg.
    Smoothed off rough highs
    Smothering life out of music
    Amazing sparkle
    Natural and transparent
    ....you know the one's that keep appearing.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    never tried them , you can hear the fans pretty much when they are on. they would be hopeless with a domestic environment . they are currently in a PA desk set up quite a way from listening field so fan noise not a problem
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Shaun.

Unfortunately I can only really comment on the amps I have tried and of those the Samson Servo 600 was by a long way the best. I would happily use them again. Powerful, clear and always in control. Yes, they have cooling fans and yes, after an hour or so of use the fans come on but they are not intrusive. A very well made unit with nice, clear treble, excellent mids and powerful low end. The Crown amp on the other hand was just so ragged in the mids it actually sounded as though it was bordering on break up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123