+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tracking force gauge?

I'm simon.

Default tracking force gauge?

can anyone recommend a good quality guage that does not break the bank?

been looking at "AUDIO ADDITIVES DIGITAL STYLUS FORCE GAUGE" which retails around 60 quid.
    i have noticed this unit is available with other brand names stamped on it, so its probably a cheap chinese generic unit.
    have seen identical lokking unit for half the price above. have also seen comments on them being really inconsistent with their measurements.

as an alternative (i read somewhere) that "Riverstone audio" make a unit that is potentially more accurate and i have found one uk seller......
    https://www.directnine.uk/products/r...caAnOlEALw_wcB

is this one any good or any other recommendations?
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have one of the 'Riverstone' gauges (or similar, mine is marked 'Electronic Balance Mechanism' model EMB-1: they also use a generic and probably Chinese sourced design). I also have one of the 'Audio Additives Digital Stylus Force Gauge' versions (mine is described as an 'Arm Load Meter'), as well as a Mitchell stylus balance.

All are perfectly adequate to set up VTF.

Don't confuse resolution with accuracy. For a load of 2g (measured on a calibrated chemical balance as 2.0133g), the respective indicated values were 2.04g and 2.01g, or an accuracy of +1.3% and -0.16% respectively.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Garrard SPG-3 from eBay.

Yes, it looks like something from the Cold War (and, indeed, it dates from around then!) but it is purely mechanical, completely unaffected by cartridge magnets and, years ago when Hi-Fi World stuck one in a digital stylus balance group test for a laugh, it turned out to be one of the most accurate of all those tested!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Yes the Garrard SPG-3 is purely mechanical, as is the Transcriptors/Mitchell design. The Garrard uses a clock spring to provide the counterbalance. As long as this is not over-stressed and in good condition the gauge will maintain long-term accuracy.

The Transcriptors design is even simpler: it is a simple beam balance. The only thing to be aware is it must be used on a level surface, as it uses a spirit bubble to assess counterbalance.
    Last edited by Barry; 27-02-2023 at 21:22.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Garrard SPG-3 from eBay.

Yes, it looks like something from the Cold War (and, indeed, it dates from around then!) but it is purely mechanical, completely unaffected by cartridge magnets and, years ago when Hi-Fi World stuck one in a digital stylus balance group test for a laugh, it turned out to be one of the most accurate of all those tested!
    Glad someone else is using the superb Garrard. I have been using one for decades and even have a spare and that's despite having around a dozen other brands of scale, crude, balance to various electronic. None of these are more accurate than the Garrard, which can be calibrated and none are as easy to use. Get on E-bay and snap one up.

I'm Grant.

still got my balance one, which is still kept in its box.. ive a couple of digital ones both are usually' accurate, but thats the trouble with them you never know each time you use them if they are still bang on and sitting right. the balance is a little fiddly and i suppose, crude but its remarkably accurate enough imo.
    that garard one looks good. i dont have a tt now so wont be getting one tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Glad someone else is using the superb Garrard. I have been using one for decades and even have a spare and that's despite having around a dozen other brands of scale, crude, balance to various electronic. None of these are more accurate than the Garrard, which can be calibrated and none are as easy to use. Get on E-bay and snap one up.
    posted same question on pfm and the folks there recommended a cheap digital unit which i ordered last night.
    after reading the comments on here i have just ordered one of the spg-3 from ebay.
    i figure its nice to compare the 2.

thanks to all for the replies
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

What arm are you using Simon?

I ask because the VTF adjustment of most high quality arms is sufficiently accurate, so that the use of a separate VTF gauge is not necessary. Despite having three such gauges (as discussed above) I rarely use them and simply rely on the calibration of the arm itself.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-03-2023 at 20:59. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What arm are you using Simon?

I ask because the VTF adjustment of most high quality arms is sufficiently accurate, so that the use of a separate VTF gauge is not neccessary. Despite having three such gauges 9as discussed above) I rarely use them and simply rely on the calibration of the arm itself.
    its an rb303.
    it was set past 3 which must mean the spring loading was disengaged , from what i have read.

the sp3g i ordered arrived today, so i followed the calibration instruction on that 1st.
    then set it to the required 1.75g for my exact cart.
    the scale hardly moved which, correct me if i am wrong (and i usually am), means there was nowhere near enough tracking force?
    i adjusted the weight on the arm to balance at 1.75g setting on the scale. i think i have done it right.
    as i said earlier i have also ordered a cheap digital scale. my plan is to wait and try that when it arrives to see if it confirms the 1.75g (ish) measurement that i have set.

until then i am a tad wary of using the deck as i dont want to damage my gear.

Ah, so it's a Rega arm. In my limited experience of Rega arms, I would not trust the calibration: when counterbalanced and the spring set to zero, there is still a small downward force. So yes, a VTF gauge is required.

If you have managed to achieve the correct 1.75g VTF as measured by the Garrard SP3G gauge, then I would leave things as they are. I would agree there is a problem with the spring loading of your Rega arm, but moving the counterbalance weight forward to apply the required VTF is a perfectly acceptable method.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast