+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Torquay this month

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Very much a case of faded glory. Lots of Victorian delights and a few very posh bits but also interspersed with some of the most deprived areas of the country. Well worth a visit, and of course it’s Devon, so it’s wonderful.

If you’re in the area pay a visit to Coleton Fishacre, a few miles outside. One of my favourite places anywhere.
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/vis...leton-fishacre
    lovely looking place..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Had a break there many years ago, seemed nice enough to me. I have holidayed all over the west country and have family there, I like it a lot.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Was going to post some more pics but if they generate asinine comments like this I won’t bother.
    Sorry if my comments gave offence Roy, they were just referencing an episode of Fawlty Towers, just a bit of fun. The beach looks a bit bleak though, and is only saved by the inclusion of your extreme handsomeness
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

British seaside resorts have been in decline for decades now, probably started by the package holidays to places with (almost) guaranteed sunshine. Still some nice places though, and Devon/Cornwall is probably my favourite UK destination (after Scottish Highlands and Lake District of course)

Visited Looe in Cornwall last summer, we liked it there. Unlike St. Austell, which we thought was awful, and their road system meant trying to escape there was like something out of The Truman Show.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

We visited Paignton and Dartmouth last year, two places on the Devon coast I hadn't visited before. Torquay and Paignton together are part of Torbay, also known as the 'English Riviera'. I found the area charming - and in no way comparable to "Eastern Bloc" towns; of which I've visited a few.

As long as you enjoyed your visit Roy, that is all that matters.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We visited Paignton and Dartmouth last year, two places on the Devon coast I hadn't visited before. Torquay and Paignton together are part of Torbay, also known as the 'English Riviera'. I found the area charming - and in no way comparable to "Eastern Bloc" towns; of which I've visited a few.

As long as you enjoyed your visit Roy, that is all that matters.
    ha; ive never been to any, although i was in berlin just before it fully became a united germany. was also in hamburg which isnt far away and the hamburgers were less than keen to have the east berlinners join their 'hard working' country as they put it. loved hamburg by way. fabulous people.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well to be exact, the only coastal towns in any Eastern Bloc country I have visited were all in Albania: Sarandë ; Vlorë , and Durrës. All had clean beaches, but the hotels were drab monoliths without any character - not only that the food and wine were terrible. But that was back in 1992.
    Barry

I'm James.

There nowt wrong with Torquay and indeed I have been there myself and down the coast to Dartmouth where I stayed many times. Beautiful part of the world.
    My observation that it looked a bit like somewhere in the Eastern Bloc was in no way a slur on Torquay but just one or two of the photos reminded me of some towns and cities by the sea in Eastern Europe. I have travelled extensively through that part of the world and I would say in some cases Eastern Bloc cities and towns put some of ours to shame. Look at Prague, Tallinn and Wroclaw and many many more around the northern edge of East Europe. Beautiful places.

There was no intention to disparage Torquay and I am sorry if the OP perceived it in that way.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Why would I go abroad when I have this on my doorstep

Or even closer:

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Kevin.

Just don’t mention the war.

I grew up spending the summer holidays in the area, staying at the grand parents in Brixham. It is an area I am familiar with, but I don’t miss.
    I did spend many a happy summer there.

Having spent a lot of time there, I have seen the transition from an area for family summer holidays to Christmas for the old folks.
    I will return one day, so my daughter can visit and see where her grandfather grew up. It will be fun visiting for a weekend, if the weather is nice.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast