+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you suffer from misophonia?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Misophonia is a strong dislike of certain sounds. It is thought to affect one in five of us and can vary from the sound of fingernails scraping on a blackboard (strongly disliked by most people) to the sound of people eating noisily or 'slurping' the last of a drink through a straw. There are other examples, such as the sound of repetitive pen clicking, or of 'whistling' when voicing words that begin with an 'S' in some older people.

What I would like to know is: are there sounds in music that Members here dislike? For me, it is the use of either a vocoder, or a 'talk-box'. I simply cannot stand the nasal sound they create. It seems to be a popular effect used by current African artists.

So what are the musical sound effects you dislike?

(I should add that there are some artists who have a natural vocal sound that I dislike: Tom Waits for example, as it sounds to me like phlegm gurgling in his throat.)
    I'm with you on the vocoder, plus anyone 'beat-boxing' using their vocals.

I also find clapping in songs very annoying. As a result, Pharell Williams' song "Happy" makes me anything but...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Cracking knuckles, people using their mobile phones on speaker. In the cafe I go in almost daily, there are quite a few middle eastern men there, and you almost guarantee that at some point the silly buggers will get their phones out and watch a video, on speaker of course, it drives me ***ing nuts. Also hate those crazy loud motorbikes, why does such a small form of transport make such a big sound? I'm extremely intolerant to many noises, and may explain my trouble in finding the right speakers!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Cracking knuckles, people using their mobile phones on speaker. In the cafe I go in almost daily, there are quite a few middle eastern men there, and you almost guarantee that at some point the silly buggers will get their phones out and watch a video, on speaker of course, it drives me ***ing nuts. Also hate those crazy loud motorbikes, why does such a small form of transport make such a big sound? I'm extremely intolerant to many noises, and may explain my trouble in finding the right speakers!
    yes roaring engines, just for sake of it usually get my goat too..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, cracking knuckles makes me shudder as well

Another annoying sound for me is the scraping of steel-rimmed wheels on say the London Underground.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Bagpipes.
    That's interesting Paul, I'm not a big fan of the Highland pipes (sorry Grant) and a little goes a long way, but I do like the sound of Uilleann pipes. They have sweeter, less raucous sound.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I hate Bagpipes.

The only time I have enjoyed hearing Bagpipes was at Prince Philip's funeral when the piper played as he slowly walked away up the passage and disappeared. Very moving but I doubt I would have enjoyed the sound without the visuals.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I hate Bagpipes.

The only time I have enjoyed hearing Bagpipes was at Prince Philip's funeral when the piper played as he slowly walked away up the passage and disappeared. Very moving but I doubt I would have enjoyed the sound without the visuals.
    my godfathers funeral had a hidden piper playing a lament in the hills surrounding the graveyard down in galashiels. it was a superb finale tbh. it wasnt loud, but just carrying across the hills and dales. quality and at time i fancied that myself, but burials are becoming hard to afford alas.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I had a piper play at my father's funeral. It was what he might have wanted, and was what someone was willing to do. On these occasions, it is what is appropriate, rather than what you would like.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I'm with you on the vocoder, plus anyone 'beat-boxing' using their vocals.

I also find clapping in songs very annoying. As a result, Pharell Williams' song "Happy" makes me anything but...
    Yes that's one of the worst songs ever.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

The sound of someone dragging their feet
    I want to slap em. ��

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast