+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do cables make a difference?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just think what you could do with a set of these:

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost...erminated-pair

£37,350!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well chop my toenails off with a flymo, they even have the audacity to offer Deoxit contact enhancer for an EXTRA £3. On that price!

Plus the price is for 1m lengths
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

But it might be quite good .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

A friend of mine leant me some pairs of expensive cables to try. The thing that surprised me most was that one pair made my system sound worse. I wasn't expecting that. My take was that cables make a difference, but not always a good one, and that expensive cables can be a miss-match in your system just as cheaper cables can. Try before you buy!
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Steve.

[QUOTE=ReggieB;1340122 The thing that surprised me most was that one pair made my system sound worse. I wasn't expecting that.![/QUOTE]

Of course if you were a potential buyer the salesman would have an explanation for that Which would lead to even more expense.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This thread is suffering from AoS's notorious thread drift. It is largely my doing, but I fear some of the posts may have put Stuart off experimenting with cables.

The best advice to Stuart was given by Adrian (AJSki2fly), with which I concur.
    Barry

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

IF YOU ASK ME, A SIMPLE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION IS........................... IT'S ALL A PILE OF SHITE!!!!!!!!
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

I'm Alan.

Don't agree but you've certainly made your point.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Steve.

Those kind of prices look crazy to most of us, but then the "modest" amounts we spend often don't make sense to Joe Average - my brother doesn't get it, he has Amazon Echoes scattered around his home which sound "more than good enough". But he'll happily spend big money on bicycles (he only has two legs) and various carbon fibre bits to make them an ounce or two lighter (A Slimming World membership would be much cheaper). They're all hobbies, which rarely make sense to outsiders.

Personally I could have a dedicated listening room built onto the house for that kind of money, but the bloke who buys that cable probably already has one.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Geoff.

Hobbies tend to bring out the obsessive tendencies in many. Glad I never took up golf or fishing!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

My few hobbies (motorbikes, archery, hifi) come and go - I stick with one for a few short years, realise my limitations, get bored, move onto another hobby, then return a few years later. I sense the archery thing making a return soon. The hifi thing has run for more than ten years this time round, which is way longer than normal. Probably down to the nutjobs on here keeping me interested

Two of my old hobbies (weight training and judo) have long gone now. And they're not coming back. Though I may join a gym if they offer an old fogey discount.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast