+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

I'm Peter.

Default Hello

No system really, sold a load of musical fidelity, Jm lab gear plus all the usual a few years back.. bug was getting expensive and the baby due cemented the end of what was a 20yr hobby. Few nights ago I was around a mates and had a listen to a modified 1210 mk2. Bug is now back and I’m on the hunt for gear, advice and chat.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Peter. Welcome to AOS.

Take a look around the site and join in any chat that interests you. Everybody is friendly and there's lots of great knowledge amongst the members.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Peter.

As Geoff has said have a look around the site to see what interests you here.

Regarding advice for a new system, it would help if you could answer a few questions:

[1] What will be the source of music: CD, internet, vinyl

[2] Would you be willing to use previously owned equipment

[3] How large can the speakers be when used in your listening/living room: floor standing, or bookshelf

[4] What is your budget?

Lots of questions, but it might help us if you could describe in more detail the system you used to have.

Welcome again
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Cheers gents, thanks for the welcome!

So then, maybe not exactly ‘no system really’ but still a climb down from systems of old, the bias shifted from an audiophile bent to something that fits with family life and happy wife.

[1] What will be the source of music: CD, internet, vinyl

Vinyl and media streamed from a server, I’ve tb’s worth of lossless rips and some MP3’s. Never stopped buying vinyl so these are/will be my main sources.

Currently use an nvidia shield (plex) as the main source into a Cyrus DAC8 into a pair of focal 908’s. Dusted off an old 1210 mk5 and picked up a dino mk3 and borrowed an ortofon 2M red pnp recently - sounds great but room for improvement. Upgrade plan is a never connected psu for the phonostage then a reclock, sme903 and maybe new bearings and platter for the turntable, then it’s off to the amp side, speakers and possibly a streamer - existing kit will move into the family room. It’s fairly basic, coming from biamped electras via 4x mf a50’s and a load of other random boxes and gubbins, current setup aside from the turntable scores high on WAF.

[2] Would you be willing to use previously owned equipment

100% - aside from the Cyrus dac8 I think everything I’ve had over the years has been sourced 2nd hand.

[3] How large can the speakers be when used in your listening/living room: floor standing, or bookshelf

Listening room - one can only dream! Likely stuck with bookshelf speakers for the foreseeable future.

[4] What is your budget?

Hmmm, not mega bucks for sure, budgets not set - list above should give a guide but I’m after value for money - very subjective that one though!

- should add, not suddenly single and free to divulge lol, just house move means the living room will not be so lived in meaning I can get back to habits of old ;D

+ Reply to Thread