+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD> DAC for streaming/phone/laptop etc

I'm Sandy.

Default WTD> DAC for streaming/phone/laptop etc

Everyone seems to have one.
    I have an adaptor into my iPhone and it sounds mediocre at best.
    Could I do better?
    I don't need it to be portable, but want to use it with my system and headphones, but not necessarily portable.
    Want to find out without spending £200 on an iFi Zen thingy.

I'm Lawrence.

You can get decent second hand ones cheap if you keep an eye out although I don't know how iPhone/usb links work as I'm all android.

I always recommend Audio Gd as a nice natural sounding brand there's no as many as Topping but I think they sound better, although apparently they measure much worse.

I'm Mike.

Sorry, deleted as I thought you were looking for a headphone adapter, didn't see that you were connecting to your system

I'm Stuart.

I have a Schiit Modius for sale at the moment. It’s on a couple of other forums and a certain auction site.
    I’d be happy to raise a sale ad here if it’s of any interest.
    I’d say it’s one step up the ladder from entry level.
    What I can’t work out is whether you’re looking for a DAC with a headphone connection. Mine doesn’t have this.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    Everyone seems to have one.
    I have an adaptor into my iPhone and it sounds mediocre at best.
    Could I do better?
    I don't need it to be portable, but want to use it with my system and headphones, but not necessarily portable.
    Want to find out without spending £200 on an iFi Zen thingy.
    I have a Bluesound n100 for sale complete with supplied cables unopened, boxed with manual but your preamp would need a headphone input. Contact me if you are interested.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    You can get decent second hand ones cheap if you keep an eye out although I don't know how iPhone/usb links work as I'm all android.

I always recommend Audio Gd as a nice natural sounding brand there's no as many as Topping but I think they sound better, although apparently they measure much worse.
    Audio GD DACs are poorly engineered, simple as that. There is no possible way they could sound 'better' than a Topping although they might just be adequate enough to sound identical.

They lie about their specs and they are stupidly expensive for what you're getting. They also reckon their DACs need 1000 hours of 'burn in'. Presumably just to get you past the return period. Another red flag.

Personally I would never recommend their products to anyone.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

What about something like this Sandy? Has headphone socket too. I have one, but I can't tell you what it's like as I lost the bloody power supply plug

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165917979...Bk9SR4anpZDEYQ
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What about something like this Sandy? Has headphone socket too. I have one, but I can't tell you what it's like as I lost the bloody power supply plug

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165917979...Bk9SR4anpZDEYQ
    Hasn't got a USB though?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Audio GD DACs are poorly engineered, simple as that. There is no possible way they could sound 'better' than a Topping although they might just be adequate enough to sound identical.

They lie about their specs and they are stupidly expensive for what you're getting. They also reckon their DACs need 1000 hours of 'burn in'. Presumably just to get you past the return period. Another red flag.

Personally I would never recommend their products to anyone.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that I think! I'm listening to mine right now and thoroughly enjoying it. There have been times when I've tried something else and thought that's got much higher resolution or something, but after a few days I notice the fatigue and put the Audio Gd back in and it's quite a relief.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that I think! I'm listening to mine right now and thoroughly enjoying it. There have been times when I've tried something else and thought that's got much higher resolution or something, but after a few days I notice the fatigue and put the Audio Gd back in and it's quite a relief.
    My reservations about Audio GD as a brand don't really have anything to do with the sound quality.

I don't know what it would be about your Audio GD that makes it less fatiguing than some other DACs for you but that's interesting that it does. Which model is it?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast